How do you know that you have gone into labor and that they are not braxton hicks contractions?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 16th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Labor doesn't stop, whereas braxton hix will eventually stop. The contractions also get closer together and become more rythmic. Trust me, you will know when it is labor ;)
|

replied June 16th, 2006
Experienced User
Bh contractions don't hurt they may be a little uncomfortable but they don't actually hurt. Labour pains usually start off as period like cramps that just keep getting worse. As 'ingi' said you will know when you are in labour.
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
sarah020406 wrote:
bh contractions don't hurt they may be a little uncomfortable but they don't actually hurt. Labour pains usually start off as period like cramps that just keep getting worse. As 'ingi' said you will know when you are in labour.

sorry that isn't true. I had painful bh contractions all throughout my 3rd trimester. But there definitely was a difference between those and the real labor pains. I thought I was gonna die. I had them really bad and really close together. Mine didn't start out at some random number of minutes apart and get closer together over a period of time. It wasn't nice and gradual. It was every five minutes to start with, within about a half hour I think it was every three minutes (although I think the bumpy car ride may have contributed to that). Then it was every minute and a half until I lost my mind and begged for an epidural. But the pains were coming every minute and a half for 12 hours of my labor. I don't know why they give this impression on t.V. That it's a nice a gradual buildup in intensity and frequency. Maybe it is for other people it wasn't for me... It really sucked and I wanted to divorce my husband and marry my anesthesiologist. Geez, I forgot the original point. Oh yeah, I had the same question as you did before I went into labor. Everyone told me the same thing "you'll know". I thought that it was lame but it's 100% true. you will know when you are in labor. You can't mistake it.
|

User Profile
replied June 17th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
Hehe everyone told me that too, that I would know when I was in labour...And I thought they were all crazy...But take comfort in the fact, that you really will know. I had painful bh contractions too.
|

User Profile
replied June 17th, 2006
Community Volunteer
Lmao I never knew I was in labour till 12 hrs later when my water broke and I said "oh that must have been why I was feeling funny all day-lol"
|

User Profile
replied June 17th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Yeah I woke up feeling strange. But I wasn't in any pain. I just woke up at 4:30 and went downstairs to my kitchen. I felt...Well, odd. I actually started to get ready for work that early cuz I knew I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep. Then my water broke and at first I just thought that I peed on myself. Then I thought about it and I was like, no because I didn't feel any urge to pee. So I called my mom and she was like yeah, your water broke. Then you know what I did? I got in the shower because i'm a lunatic. My husband was screaming at me saying that I needed to go to the hospital not take a shower. But you couldn't convince me that a shower wasn't the most important thing in the world right then. After that the contractions started and they were vicious. I still remember what they felt like. I don't think the memory of pain like that ever goes away. But my sil didn't have strong ones. She said that she woke up at 2 in the morning and started to clean up. She sent her husband to work and drove to the hospital when they got to five minutes apart. When she got to the hospital she was already seven cm. Her husband (or bf or whatever) just had time to get there before she had her baby. She had hers the week before mine. Everyone is different I guess. But she knew she was in labor too...
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
You are in labor when the pain is so bad you have to stop walking/talking and im not joking it feels like that I went natural and I know what it feels like the whole way through.

My bh were bad with the second with elisa I dont remeber feeling them but honestly there is a huge difference between the two of them bh can also be prelabor which can last for weeks god my last month its like it never ended and I felt like crp ....
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
diamondsz wrote:
you are in labor when the pain is so bad you have to stop walking/talking and im not joking it feels like that I went natural and I know what it feels like the whole way through.

My bh were bad with the second with elisa I dont remeber feeling them but honestly there is a huge difference between the two of them bh can also be prelabor which can last for weeks god my last month its like it never ended and I felt like crp ....

i feel you jess...
|

replied June 18th, 2006
Experienced User
tigresacanela24 wrote:

sorry that isn't true. I had painful bh contractions all throughout my 3rd trimester. But there definitely was a difference between those and the real labor pains. I thought I was gonna die. I had them really bad and really close together. Mine didn't start out at some random number of minutes apart and get closer together over a period of time. It wasn't nice and gradual. It was every five minutes to start with, within about a half hour I think it was every three minutes (although I think the bumpy car ride may have contributed to that). Then it was every minute and a half until I lost my mind and begged for an epidural. But the pains were coming every minute and a half for 12 hours of my labor. I don't know why they give this impression on t.V. That it's a nice a gradual buildup in intensity and frequency. Maybe it is for other people it wasn't for me... It really sucked and I wanted to divorce my husband and marry my anesthesiologist. Geez, I forgot the original point. Oh yeah, I had the same question as you did before I went into labor. Everyone told me the same thing "you'll know". I thought that it was lame but it's 100% true. you will know when you are in labor. You can't mistake it.

ouch you really had it hard. The only time my bh contractions were painful was when I was lying on my back! My labour progressed pretty slowly so I think my body had enough time to handle the contractions as they got worse, so when I really think about it, it wasn't that bad at the time. My contractions started out at about every 10-15 mins for the first day then every 5 mins for 2 more days till things finally got underway properly on the 4th day!
|

replied June 19th, 2006
Experienced User
Every One Is Different...
My friend just had a baby in april. She actually woke up in the middle of the night and thought she wet the bed. Actually her water broke. No contraction pains, just said her belly had butterflies non stop. Went to hospital (when your water breaks, you need to go due to possibility of infection). Got there and found out she was 6 cm....Not a good thing because she was already scheduled for a c-sections due to the babies feet first and backwards position (breech). If she waited any longer, baby may have started to decend and then there could have been serious complications. Call your docttor and let him or her make that judgment call. That's what they're there for! Just don't rely on having serious pains, or knowing...Doesn't always happen like that!
|

replied June 19th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
diamondsz wrote:
you are in labor when the pain is so bad you have to stop walking/talking and im not joking it feels like that I went natural and I know what it feels like the whole way through.

amen on the "feeling it the whole way though"....It's definately an experience I won't forget!!!

Sarah
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...