Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Violent On Being Woken!!!!!

Please help me if you can.

My son flies into a rage if woken. A real temper tantrum and last night he even raised his fists to his girlfriend.

He says he doesn't realise he is doing it, and until he is fully awake seems to have no control.

His father had the same problem which is one of the reasons he is my ex.

However, if the alarm goes off he seems ok.

He realises this cannot continue and has an appointment with our doctor next week, he can't bear that he is causing this trauma.

Please, please if anyone has heard of this and knows what we can do we would be so grateful for any advice.

Many thanks for your time.

Vivien
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 13th, 2004
Experienced User
Unfortunately I Have This Problem to Some Extent
It doesn't usually happen but I have sworn and hit and kicked while being physically awakened. I don't remember it either.
Luckily, my husband can usually protect himself without hurting me when this happens.
Maybe, it is genetic since his father does it too. Maybe, he suffered some kind of trauma that makes him defensive about being touched.
In a way, that sort of thing could be adaptive. Back in the days of a less friendly world, we were vulnerable to attack while asleep and it promoted survival to begin to fight the attacker immediately. Of course you aren't attacking him, but his unconcious mind might see it that way.
|

User Profile
replied February 13th, 2004
Advanced Support Team
My fiance does the same thing...Wonder what causes it..It is quite scary!

~sara~
|

replied November 20th, 2004
I have just had my second violent waking and it concerns me a little. I've no complete memory of it and it is very out of character for me.

If anyone has any links or advice that will be greatly appreciated.
|

replied January 9th, 2005
Violent On Being Woken!!!!!
Vivien,

in the recent past I was a sleep tech, and we were always told never to eter a patients room or wake them abruptly while they're in rem. A way to tell if someone is in rem, is if you have to really try at waking them. Normally when a person wakes on they're on while in rem, they feel great. But not abruptly. As far as waking up to an alarm abruptly, we'll if a person is in rem they hear it when they hear it, therefore it's not abruptly.

Hope this helped

gianluca

:)
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Srinivas Singaram
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile