Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Arrhythmias and Holter Monitor Test

User Profile
I am 21, female, in general good health. However, lately my heart has been bothering me. I'm afraid I have some sort of condition or arrhythmia. Sometimes I will get the heart thumps or flutters, and my heartbeats feel very heavy a lot. Sometimes I feel a quick series of beats, I can't tell if it's my heart of some muscle twitching or spasm. It takes my breath away at times and I'm short of breath and it causes me to be extremely anxious. Also, usually after exertion, my heart beats super fast upon inhalation and slows way down upon exhalation and feels out of rhythm. I'm not sure if it's only anxiety or something more. I have had several ekgs and nothing has been found, but usually the palpitations have not been active during the ekg exam. Are ekg's effective if palpatations are not present at the time of exam? If I get a holter moniter test, will this rule out any conditions or arrhythmias? Thanks!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2006
Anxiety & Stress Answer A1106
Holter (24 hours) monitoring is the only way to discover occasional arrhythmias. Sometimes arrhythmia may not be present while performing a standard ECG. If everything is OK (it seems highyl likely) , then anxiety may be your real problem. In young persons, anxiety is often transformed into a physical symptom, called somatoform disorder.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.