I am 14 weeks pregnant. At my last doctor visit he said my thyroid was a bit enlarged and ordered bloodwork. I just talked to my doctor and he said my thyroid level is a bit high (hyperthyroid). He does not want to treat me for fear that I will switch to hypothyroidism. He just told me to be aware of my heart rate (i.E. Palpatations) my doc seems really laid back about it but i'm wondering if he is just acting cool about it so I won't stress out. I have read really bad things about it. Should I be worried? Is there any self help measures I can take?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 12th, 2011
Hi MysticalStar, I will say, things must be pretty good for your doctor to not suggest treating the problem w/meds. You will be fine.
I am also 14 wks pregnant and just found out 2 weeks ago that my thyroid levels were low. I was referred to an Endocrinologist and I did go to the appt.last week and she suggested putting me on a medication to get the levels back in range. I am concerned since I am pregnant and hope that this won't affect my baby. I also noticed I have been having a rapid heartbeat sometimes, so she also gave me a beta blocker to keep the palpitations down. Luckily, I have not had to take it but once,and have not noticed a rapid heartbeat since that day. I am taking this thyroid medicine and I am nervous because I don't tolerate meds well,and on top of that I have anxiety so I am constantly anxious about this pregnancy (although it is my 2nd child). I never had this happen in the 1st pregnancy. I also have LOTS of morning sickness accompanied with vomiting at least once a day. I have lost weight since I have been so sick, and overall I am feeling anxious about it all.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn what the thyroid does, and the characteristics of thyroid disease here. In this intro section, we'll also review types of thyroid disorders MDs diagnose....
Specific medical conditions can trigger thyroid disease. Learn the basics about causes and risk factors for thyroid problems here....
Learn the symptoms for various thyroid problems...plus know when to seek medical help! A complete list of thyroid symptoms here....