Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

How do Doctors Diagnose Epilepsy?

User Profile
I recently started having seizures, but so far they have only happened in my sleep. I have had two that I know of, but it is hard to tell if I have had more because of them only happening in my sleep. The doctor I saw when they first happened said that it's not considered epilepsy until you have had three seizures and diagnosed my with a chronic seizure disorder. What is that? How is it different from epilepsy? Isn't it possible that I have had more than two seizures anyway? I was put on anti seizure drugs.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2006
Epilepsy Answer A1065
You can consult your doctor about performing an EEG to confirm or exclude epilepsy. If epilepsy is confirmed by these tests, then you have to identify the cause of epilepsy. Primary (idiopathic) epilepsy has no organic cause; it is probably genetically conditioned. Secondary (symptomatic) epilepsy there exists some organic reason for seizures such as a tumor, inflammation, vascular insult, parasitic cyst, vascular anomalies, etc. In this case,you may be requested to do a CT-scan or an MRI to detect one such cause. If there no cause presents itself, then doctors will diagnose the condition as idiopathic epilepsy; anti-epileptic drugs are the only treatment in this case. If there is an identifiable reason for epilepsy, then neurosurgical operation/intervention is reccommended when needed.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Epilepsy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.