User Profile
I was diagnosed with crohns when i was 21. At that time i had a really sharp pain between my ribcage below my sternum, and a pain lower down, to the right of my belly button. The doc i saw at the time said it might be gallstones but as i was away at the time i didnt really think much of it.
After having an ultrasound and a barium xray i was diagnosed with crohns. It has been fine for the past 5 years until xmas.

I was getting bad pains between my rib cage again, and also kept getting a butterfly type feeling too, like ive been really high up in the air on a rollercoaster and just dropped. i went to my gp and she gave me protium which i took for about a week and it worked. the pain came back again and i got more protium but it stopped working. I saw my crohns doc in Jan and he gave me 6 wks of steroids to take and after 2 wks of taking them i had an endoscopy, which showed nothing, just some redness.

so the steroids calmed everything down and i was getting the pain every so often but it was fine. i had an op in april for my foot for the arthritis and my joints all acted up and so did my stomach. i saw my crohns doc again in may and he said he wanted me to get a cat scan done, which im getting on friday, results next wednesday. i saw my crohns doc last wednesday and he gave me protium to take until i see him next week. the first day or so i felt a difference but now its worse than ever. the only thing i can do when i get the pain is to bend over and rub my stomach while holding my breath. i feel my stomach is swollen too. im not eating much with the pain, i either dont have an appetite cos of the pain or while im eating the pain is so severe i have to stop. its pretty much constant all day long and keeps me awake at night when its really bad

my question is basically, what do you suggest it could be? i want to have some options to bring it to my docs attention when i see them on wednesday. i think i have an ulcer, but the fact its the same pain as january and the endoscopy showed nothing has me disheartened. I saw a herbalist and from just touchin my stomach he seemed to think it was an inflammed bile duct. i said that to my crohns doc and he said if it was it would show on my blood test. or could it be gall stones?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2006
Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass, Colon Disorders Answer A106
Crohn’s disease can be the cause of the abdominal pain you describe, and can include arthritis. Crohn's disease is an autoimmune inflammatory disease that can affect any part of the gastro-intestinal tract. It most commonly affects the terminal ileum. It can cause obliteration at the affected area and stop the bowel passage (so called ileus). It can also cause perforation of the intestine. Both conditions, ileus and perforation, are urgent conditions and require surgical intervention. Crohn’s disease can sometimes be accidentally detected during such urgent surgical interventions. If in your case the diagnosis for Crohn’s disease has been definitely established (endoscopy with biopsy), you don’t need to identify additional diseases but should concentrate on the treatment of Crohn’s disease. Medical treatment includes 5-aminosalicylate, corticosteroids and immunomodulators.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Crohn's Disease is a chronic disorder that affects digestion. But what is Crohns and how does it affect the body?...
What causes Crohn's disease? Does it run in families (yes)? And how can YOU avoid the risk factors of Crohn's?...
Can you identify symptoms of Crohn's Disease? Learn more about the range of symptoms from mild to severe in this section on Crohn's symptoms here. ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.