Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

666... the Number of the Beast? (Page 1)

User Profile
So what do you guys think of the whole 06/06/06 rise of the ant-christ thing?
Its 5pm here and nothing has happened so far...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 6th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
666 makes me laugh. There is no such thing ;)

kind of like the world was going to end at y2k... These are myths. If you aren't a .Christian though, 666 wouldn't mean anything at all.
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Errr lol retarded.
|

replied June 6th, 2006
Experienced User
Ha ha - yeah nothings happened here yet... Touch wood!
|

replied June 6th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
I read something like this the other day, but this is the closest I could find to the article I read. Says the same thing, anyway.

666 wrong number
of prophetic beast?
Newly examined scripture fragment lends credence to argument it's 616

© 2005 worldnetdaily.Com

for centuries, people have been intrigued by the number 666, the "number of the beast" from the book of revelation in the new testament.

Not only is it mentioned in the bible, it has been associated with the satanism, universal price codes and the game of roulette, as the numbers on the wheel add up to 666.

Now, the legendary number is getting a fresh look, as researchers are re-examining evidence the number may actually be 616.

Fragment from book of revelation mentions 616 in the third line – chi, iota, sigma (courtesy egypt exploration society)

in the king james version of the bible, the well-known verse of revelation 13:18 reads:

"let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is six hundred threescore and six."

while many bible have footnotes saying the number translated from the original greek could be 616, experts say new photographic evidence of an ancient fragment of papyrus from revelation indeed indicates the number is indeed 616, instead of 666.

Scholars in england have been using modern technology to scour some 400,000 bits of papyri which were originally discovered in 1895 at a dump outside the ancient egyptian city of oxyrhynchus. Many of the sections have been damaged and discolored, but an imaging process is shedding new light on the sacred text, believed to have originally been penned by john, one of jesus' 12 apostles.

"this is a very nice piece to find," ellen aitken, a professor of early christian history at mcgill university, told canada's national post. "scholars have argued for a long time over this, and it now seems that 616 was the original number of the beast."

the papyrus in the spotlight is believed to be from about 300 a.D.

"this is very early confirmation of that number, earlier than any other text we've found of that passage," aitken said. "it's probably about 100 years before any other version."

the main researcher promoting the 616 claim is david parker, professor of new testament textual criticism and paleography at the university of birmingham in england.

"this is an example of gematria, where numbers are based on the numerical values of letters in people's names," parker told the uk's independent. "early christians would use numbers to hide the identity of people who they were attacking: 616 refers to the emperor caligula."

many commentators have gone with later copies of text which assign the number 666 to "the beast," believed by some to be the end-time world power.

Some have also linked 666 with nero, the ancient roman emperor known for persecuting christians.

Parker points out the possibility of 616 was considered by the second century church father irenaeus, who rejected it.

Regarding this new text, parker told britain's church times, "this adds weight to those who believe that it is a reference to caligula's attempt to desecrate the temple in jerusalem, by having his statue erected there as part of the cult of emperor worship.

"there may be a reference to it in mark [13:14], where he refers to the 'the abomination of desolation.' but this was overlaid by the neronian persecutions. People believed that you could get from '666' to nero because in greek he is the emperor neron caesar. And 666 is one number less than the perfect 777. The text [showing 616] is quite legible to the naked eye. It was published in 1999, but it has taken people time to catch up."

the national post quotes elijah dan, professor of philosophy and religion at the university of toronto, as saying the new number won't likely have an impact in the popularity of 666.

"otherwise, a lot of sermons would have to be changed and a lot of movies rewritten," he said with a laugh. "there's always someone with an active imagination who can put another interpretation on it. It just shows you that when you study something as cryptic and mystic as the book of revelation there's an almost unlimited number of interpretations."
|

replied June 6th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
This has nothing to do with anything really but I find it amusing... My brother's address is 777 state street. His friend was ordering food to be delivered and she said "777 state street, a block up from satan". I thought it was hilarious.

Carry on...
|

replied June 6th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
Today is my friend's birthday. Wooooooooooooo.... Scary! Lol
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
I certainly don't believe in this 666 crap. But .I'm not going to lie... I'm pretty nervous that my first doctor's appointment happened to fall on this day! Lol.

I was reading in our local paper about how so many women induced labor just to avoid their children being born on 6/6/06. A little ridiculous? I think so.
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2006
Community Volunteer
It's me i'm the .Anti-.Christ! Roar!! Lol
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
*gasp*

*shock*

*horror*

!!!!!!
|

replied June 6th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Hmm, I guess the thought never occured to me. Good thing we didn't get bombed or anything else happen today I woulda been shit out of luck!
And I would have wondered "gee, what brought that on?"
|

replied June 6th, 2006
Experienced User
Iron maiden dosent lie.. No mam

hehe
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
They were talking about that at tthe hospital last night and they were saying how many women that were so close to having their baby-to-be was and how busy that the c-sections have been, I just turned around and said probably because so many of them did not want to have natural births.
Their is a nurse there that is very supersticious and I used to walk under ladders, someone broke a miror one time and she was upset and I was helping to clean it up and I said that the only thing I was affraid of was slipping on it and getting a piece in my butt and someone else walked by her and asked if she saw a black cat, I kind of feel sorry for the lady. They told her one time that she has to work a friday the 13th and she said that she would quit 1st, that is sooo sad to be that way.
I too have heard that about 616 but I look at it this way, if ssomething is going to happen, it does not matter what day it is, if it is my time, it is my time but I am pretty much a positive person.
|

replied June 6th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Quote:

666 as less than god
the number 7 is mentioned throughout the bible; from genesis to revelation. The bible uses the number 7 to represent perfection and wholeness; judges 16:13-19, proverbs 9:1, 2 chron 29: 20-21, genesis 21:28-30, lev 16:19, lev 23:15, and lev 25:1-9.

Since many christians worship a triune god, the number 777 is assumed to represent god; one 7 for each aspect: father, son, and holy spirit. However, the number 777 does not appear in the bible, but neither does the term trinity.

the number 6 is the number of man; gen 1:26-31, exodus 31:15, daniel 3:1, and I samuel 17. Some believe that the number 666 represents someone who is less perfect than god in every respect.
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2006
Community Volunteer
Well well well, joanna's alive. So what's new jo??
|

replied June 6th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Mmmmm

i'd have to say that im not too surprised that this convo did keep her away.....

Joanna, how are the babies doing???? All going well?

I'ts4.25 here and i'd have to say nothing has happened today other than this has been the most boring day in the whole world....Good lord.
|

replied June 6th, 2006
Experienced User
Nothing new in small town alabama either. Lol. My brother called earlier today to tell me he thought the world was ending at midnight. I told him hmm thats strange, midnight oh you mean 6/7/06 instead of 6/6/06. He isn't to bright lol :roll:
|

replied June 6th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Well this topic would be right up .F.F's alley, wouldn't it?
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2006
Community Volunteer
For some reason I had a feeling she'd post in it even though we haven't sen hide nor hair in a while.

Oh and rinsha--lmao @ your bro. Poor guy.
|

replied June 6th, 2006
Experienced User
He is a !**@! to say the least, after telling me this he tells me oh I am going to the creek going to eat some shrooms&drink some beer note he is only 17. I told him hmm sounds like I fine way to fry your brain. Then he goes oh I was only going to eat one or two. Yeah right :o he's an idiot, I will be the first to say it lol. I was just like whatever, once your brain's fried it will be alittle late but whatever floats your boat.
|
Tags: Pregnancy, ant
Quick Reply
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...