I broke my femur in a car accident about 11 weeks ago. I am now able to walk with a little limp and some pain. Occassionaly I get these horrible pains in my knee that make it very difficult to walk.
For my rehab, I ride the bike 5 times a week and do weights 3 times to strenghten my femur. I am an avid runner and climber and quite frustrated with the slow nature of this recovery. I am wondering if anyone has tips for how to lessen the pain the knee or info. On what causes that knee pain. Any advice from a member of the bionic club will be helpful.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jayjitsu
|

replied June 6th, 2006
Knee Pain
I am sorry that you are having pain in the knee. Have you checked with your orthopedic to see what he/she has to say? Sometimes the pins they use have to be removed. I had my 6 week check today (spiral break of the left femur) and the dr could feel my pins and said that they may have to come out down the road. A friend of mines daughter at age 14 broke her femur and they actually took the rod out along with the pins a year later. Good luck, glad to know you are doing well at 11 weeks, I am looking forward to getting there myself.
|

replied December 22nd, 2008
Broken Femur
I broke my femur 4 years ago. For 4 months I was in terrible pain. My bone were rubbing on the rod so they took the bottom screws out. After that I felt better, but had 6 more months of therapy. Water therapy was the best. I run but it hurts to this day.
Concentrate on walking and that helps get rid of the limp. I only limp now when I walk alot or alot of activities. I am 35 now and will never get the rod out. Good luck to you!!!
|

replied October 5th, 2010
i broke my femur 5 years ago and to this day i am bed bound, i some times wake up crying blood and screeming like a great orca! i suggest if your femur is broken have your whole leg from hip down amputated. sorry for this tragic news people i would rather be dead than have my poor old femur broken! the best theropy i can suggest is 4 red roosters cans a day keeps my femur at bay .
|

replied October 5th, 2010
i broke my femur 5 years ago and to this day i am bed bound, i some times wake up crying blood and screeming like a great orca! i suggest if your femur is broken have your whole leg from hip down amputated. sorry for this tragic news people i would rather be dead than have my poor old femur broken! the best theropy i can suggest is 4 red roosters cans a day keeps my femur at bay .
|

replied November 1st, 2010
I broke my femur in July. At first, the pain in my knee was almost unbearable. But I worked through it. It is now October, and my knee hurts a just little. Water therapy was fabulous. I am now able to jog at a slow pace. I can go up and down stairs. Talk to your therapist and see if you are able to use some of the weight machine with you bad leg only. That may help strengthen you muscles to improve knee stength. Good luck and do notsit around and feel sorry for yourself.
|
Users who thank sportyshorty for this post: femurfemur 

replied November 2nd, 2010
Femoral Nail, and broken femur
I fell 50 foot out of the sky in my paraglider back in July, and along with a broken femur, i got bashed feet, a dislocated arm and broken shoulder. The femur was broken in two places, and now i'm the proud owner of a femoral nail, at the age of 43. The pain is a pain in the butt, But ! 3 months down the line I can tell its a slow recovery, but I'm walking and driving my car, so I can deal with a bit of pain. I have tried coming off the pain killers only to find I feel uncomfortable for no reason, so the plan will be to kick back for a change and let nature take its toll. Happy healing everyone, and here's to the guys who put us back together. *raises a glass of wine, and take another tramadol* Smile
|

replied November 2nd, 2010
I fell 50 foot out of the sky in my paraglider back in July, and along with a broken femur, i got bashed feet, a dislocated arm and broken shoulder. The femur was broken in two places, and now i'm the proud owner of a femoral nail, at the age of 43. The pain is a pain in the butt, But ! 3 months down the line I can tell its a slow recovery, but I'm walking and driving my car, so I can deal with a bit of pain. I have tried coming off the pain killers only to find I feel uncomfortable for no reason, so the plan will be to kick back for a change and let nature take its toll. Happy healing everyone, and here's to the guys who put us back together. *raises a glass of wine, and take another tramadol* Smile
|

replied November 25th, 2010
my tale of bust femur 40yr ago and now have oestiomylitis, and still never had any probs. But they will come.
|

replied February 10th, 2011
Just praising the LORD after I broke my femur
July 8, 2004, I lost control of the 4-wheeler I was riding and went over a 15 foot cliff. I felt my right leg bone snap before I landed in a heap at the bottom of a ravine. I remember wondering if I was dead because I didn't feel pain-even though my toes were brushing my cheek! With my leg wrapped around my neck, I was a sight. But I was alive. The feeling definitely came back when the ambulance team straightened out my leg-and it's never gone away completely. I still have weight-bearing pain even though I've had this steel rod and pins in my right leg for eight years now. But, I'm alive and I'm able to walk! Every time I step down and feel that pain, I'm reminded-I'm alive and I'm not paralyzed. I live a full, happy life. I'm blessed.
|

replied September 5th, 2011
Spiral Fracture of tibula near ankle, all ligaments torn OFF.
Wrecked a motorcycle and came out with a spiral fracture of my fibula and completely severed all ligaments. Surgeon threw in a plate and screws and band to replace my ligaments. I have never felt pain and actually waited a few days before going to the orthopedic surgeon vs the emergency room (walked on it with the bone pushing the skin out, but not a compound break, although it was close just before going in to see the Doc)... Anyhow, due to other emergency family-related reasons where I was needed "on my feet" as Johnny on the Spot(s), I had to remove my cast after a couple of days and then move our household belongings to storage, etc... Finally into a rental home, things are calming down and as these endorphins and testosterone and adrenaline wears off (10 months of it), I have yet to have pain in my broken leg, but my knee and hip are shot. Of course, I may have fractured my hip during the move...

Okay, forget I started this, I'll talk to the doctor and get the x-rays. NO PAIN PILLS ALLOWED!
|

replied June 26th, 2012
Well, I wouldn't say you're lucky nor do I understand how you put yourself through such stress but I'm really glad that you managed to do it with little or no pain. I, however, have found my femur to be far more painful than the 4 labor and childbirths I went through which is all I can compare this to. Good luck to you!
|

replied June 8th, 2012
Broken Femer
I crashed into a tree snowboarding new years eve 2009. I had a plate and 7 screws put into my leg the next day. After two weeks in the hospital I was crutching around for 3 months. A month after I was walking again, I returned to the hospital to get my plate and screws removed. I then walked out of there and recovered extremely quick. My advice to all you femur breakers is to stay active and ask your doctor if you can get your "hardware" removed. It's unnatural to live with metal in your leg for the rest of your life. I am now 16 and it's like my leg was never broken. I run, bike, workout at the gym, snowboard, surf and do many other extreme sports with absolutely no pain Very Happy
|

replied June 26th, 2012
I broke the femur in my right leg on April 20. After almost 10 weeks, I am still not able to put weight on that leg and am getting around slowly with a walker and wheelchair. The pain is better ( could it possibly be any worse? ) and the surgeon says I can start doing some water exercises to strengthen that leg which is very sore. I can't drive either so I'm getting a bit stir crazy. Because of having weak bones due to taking Prednisone for years, I will have to be careful for the rest of my life. This is by far the most difficult thing I've ever been up against in my life and I really feel for anyone else that has had this pain.
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
Emibeth,

The water exercises would be great for you. The warmth and the buoyancy of the water are very helpful for lower extremity injuries.

In chest deep water you can work on your gait mechanics, range of motion, and strengthening, as the buoyancy makes the activity essentially nonweight bearing. The warmth of the water also makes the soft tissues more pliable and stretchable, so range of motion is easier.

It also gets you out of the house, to help with you being stir crazy.

Good luck.
|

replied July 13th, 2013
fx femur
i was in a mva when i was 23, i'm 41 now , my right femur was fractured among other things. I've had problems with my right leg since the fracture. today i have PAIN from my right hip all the way down my leg. I do have pins in my hip and my knee, and a russell-taylor nail in my right femur. I do continue to this day to have weight bearing issues, especially with stairs. For the past month or two the pain from my hip down my leg has beenhappening more often. walking does help.
|

User Profile
replied November 4th, 2015
femar pain
Broke both femur in 1995 snapped in half . Pain still really bad if i am doing any low jobs example if i am working under a car after That it takes me 2 days for the pain to ease around the femur area never the same again .Medication that works INDOCID 25 MG that ease the pain down.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....