Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Is Cymbalta causing a Hyper-emotional state?

User Profile
I have been taking cymbalta for 3 weeks and about a week before my womenly cycle was about to start I became abnormally overly emotional and very easily aggitated. I would become extremely upset over just my husband not answering his phone and other very small things that happened within the home ( which there was no reason to be) then for the rest of the day I would have terrible negative thoughts about him not wanting to be with me anymore, I have done something wrong, or that I bore him. By the time I got home I was so upset about the whole thing that my husband and I would argue then I would cry for at least 3 hours. This went on for seven days everyday. My heart would race, I had knots in my stomach, and alot of crying. I felt like my home life was falling apart though for a fact it is definantly not. The day that my cycle had started my demeaner changed dramaticlly I felt more at ease and I didn't have the anxiety that I had been feeling. Could this possibly mean that the cymbalta may not be right for me? I say again I had never been that emotional, paranoid, or have that high of anxiety even before getting on the antidepressants. I did not like the feeling that I was having. so your help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Heather

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2006
Mental Conditions Answer A1025
Cymbalta is a new generation antidepressant that should treat the symptoms you’ve mentioned, not provoke them. You may be experiencing severe pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS) ,combined with depressive neurotic disorder. You can consult a mental health professional for expert help in diagnosing this situation.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mental Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.