My teen-age daughter told me recently about these obsessive thoughts she has and some of her unusual habits. One is putting the bowls in a certain order when she unloads the dishwasher. Another is always sleeping or standing so she's facing the window due to fear that something will get her if she turns her back.

Had her see a therapist who gave her some things to try, like rearranging the bowls and leaving them for 10 mins. If she felt she just had to fix them after that, she could. Then she is to lengthen the time she allows the bowls to be in a different order.

Being a perfectionist doesn't help matters. In 1st grade, she would cry so hard when she got less than a perfect grade, that I had to come to the school and calm her down a couple of times by the teacher's request.

Any other advice for a concerned mama who wants to help her? I try to put as little pressure on her as possible because I know she puts a ton on herself.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 22nd, 2006
Get An Outlet
My husband has ocd and I value these types of quirks. They make us more interesting. However, I know that they can become a problem when they limit your ability to feel normal or even be normal. I guess all I wanted to say is to encourage her to find an outlet for it where the quirks just make her stronger in whatever it is she is doing. My husband is an artist, and his ocd definatly seems to help his art to be even better.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....