Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

Reasons For Not Producing Estrogen

I'm a mid-twenties female, and while I was in college, I developed what doctors finally diagnosed as fibromyalgia. Because the symptoms were coupled with type I diabetes, the pain I experienced was severely debilitating, and my mobility was impaired for several months. Needless to say, a lot of tests were run, and one of them showed I no longer produced any estrogen. I had an mri for a possible pituitary tumor, which turned up negative. I started taking birth control pills so that my bone density wouldn't suffer -- and the pain went virtually away. </p>
</p>it's been several years since this happened, and I was at first so grateful that I could go back to life without such pain that I didn't think too clearly about it. But now I want to know why i'm not producing estrogen anymore. Other than diabetes, I don't have other medical conditions. I'm about 20 pounds "overweight" (i. E., the ideal in the doctor's office), but I exercise 4-6 times/week, and my blood pressure is fine -- my gp doesn't seem to think i'm unhealthy.</p>
</p>i'd be really grateful for any information people could point me to about young women who stop producing estrogen, or other hormones -- even a place to start.</p>
good health to all
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2011
I wish someone who knows would answer this. I need to know too. I had a partial hysterectomy after the birth of my last baby and I have been having bad hormone problems for about a year now, little less. I am pretty sure it is because the Doc didn't give me anything to help my body recover and my estrogen was already low from the birth. I felt great for a while, best I had in years, but now my skin has thinned a lot and I crack and bleed at the slightest thing, I get headaches all the time and feel lightheaded, I am always tired. My relationship with my husband is suffering... a lot. I don't know what to do about it, I don't have heath insurance for expensive tests and treatments. I don't even feel like myself anymore. I'm only 28, I'm not old, but I sure feel like I am. I don't know what to do to fix me.
|

replied July 19th, 2011
hello
mcc46, I just discovered that I do produce the least amount of hormones possible. My period stopped when I was thirteen (i.e. I only had three). I am now almost seventeen and have still not had a period. I have had countless tests and today my Endocrinologist finally disovered what the problem was, ONE YEAR after the test was performed. Both my GP and Endocrinologist over-looked this test. My Estrogen levels are extremely low. I have recently put on a large amount of weight as well. Anyway, I am writing this for you. I think it would be worth a try to ask your Doctor to test you for Growth Hormone deficiency (GH deficiency). I really hope this helps you.

-A friend
|

replied June 7th, 2012
Low Estrogen
I too am suffering the same thing, ladies. After 15 years of regular periods, I stopped having my period at all. I started feeling a lot more of my "hypothyroid" symptoms, and put on 20 pounds in 8 months, all while trying to lose weight for my wedding! We finally got it figured out, A YEAR LATER and I am now on Birth Control to get my estrogen up there. A woman in menopause's estrogen is between 9-20 usually, mine was 4! While I'm glad I'm doing better and I have the most amazing man who has stood by my side and lovingly supported me through all of this, I want it to be over, I want to lose this belly fat! I want answers!
|

User Profile
replied October 23rd, 2018
(online)
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
You need proper assessment. I would suggest you to have complete hormonal profile to sort out the problem.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Andrijana Shterjovska
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gland Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.