When I was 13 I had been put on a low carb high protein diet to lose weight so I could still play on my recreational football team. (they had weight limits).

I lost conciousness one afternoon and when I came to, I was straddling a high back dining room chair and slamming my face into it. I busted up my nose, lips, and forehead. My cousin who was visting saw this.

Over the years, I have had these kinds of attacks- but for the most part I just get really confused- can't talk, irritable, and lose track of time. My wife and coworkers are coming out of the woodowrk with examples of these episodes now that I am getting help for it.

Last week I had another seizure while on the phone. My back arched up in a twisted position and I could not talk. My right thumb kept shaking uncontrollably. Afterwards I was really confused.

I am being treated at a m.S. Center for neuropathies in my arms and legs as well as these attacks. Currently I am on 1500mg of neurontin and they are increasing it as the weeks go on.

My uro has referred me to a nephrologist because I have had too much protein in my urine.

My question is this..

Is it possible that all these years could I have had diabetes all this time and no doctor dx it?

There are other causes of hypoglycemia and we are looking into those as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 29th, 2006
There is a chance did they ever test you for it and if so how many times
|

User Profile
replied June 15th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Kidney problem develops only in 20-30% of individuals. Testing for blood sugar is baseline investigation,so it would have not been missed.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.