User Profile
Is that a good supplement to take until .I get to a doctor &have him perscribe a prenatal vitamin? I'm taking 1 of those a day, plus a folic acid supplement. I'm about 4-5wks preggo..
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2006
Experienced User
Yep, that should be just fine, especially with the folic acid as well.
You could probably just keep doing that untill those vitamins are all gone, then replace them with ones specially for pregnancy.
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Oh! &also..
Women's .Once a .Day has 400mg of folic acid,
&my folic acid supplement is 400mg.. Is 800mg a day good?
Or would it not hurt if .I took 2 of the folic acid supplements?
Making it 1200mg a day.
|

replied May 25th, 2006
Experienced User
arcadia wrote:
oh! &also..
Women's .Once a .Day has 400mg of folic acid,
&my folic acid supplement is 400mg.. Is 800mg a day good?

Or would it not hurt if .I took 2 of the folic acid supplements?

Making it 1200mg a day.

the doctor told me that the ideal dosage for the first trimester is 400 mg. As for supplements I didnt take anything but just ate more protein (meat etc), useful carbs, and lots of vegies.If your eating well baby would get enough nutrient supply.
And from what i've read you must eat up 3000 calories per day and just add 300 as the pregnancy progresses
|

replied May 25th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
I'm only taking 400 mg a day of folic acid. I had to stop taking the actual prenatals because they were making me so sick and I had a hard time swallowing them. Now I take a regular multi-vitamin (there might be additional folic acid in these but I don't remember), a calcium, and the folic. I made sure I was getting everything I needed. I don't know if there's any harm in taking 1200 mg of folic acid but it's not needed.
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2006
Community Volunteer
I find it so weird that in the states you guys are prescribed vitamins. We can buy them anywhere here-lol
|

replied May 25th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
They sell them in the stores here too. I used to get mine at the grocery store but I didn't like them and they didn't really have a selection.

I just checked and my multi-vitamin has folic acid too so i'm getting 800 mg a day.
|

replied May 25th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
If your prenatal vitamins are prescribed by a doctor, your health insurance will pay for them. They are technically the exact same pills they get off the shelf that you walk into the store and buy - just paid for by your health insurance. That is why they are prescribed.

Also, some people don't think they need them. When they are prescribed by a doctor, they take that a little more seriously.
|

replied May 25th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
U dont have to get perscribed a prenatal vitamin... The docotor just usually gives u a bottle for free. You can buy actual prenatal vitamins at wal mart.
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Really? At wal mart? I couldn't find any anywhere. So .I went with the .Women's .Once a .Day because apparently thats what my best friend's doc told her to take. Lol. I have suuuuch a hard time swallowing pills, so .I have to cut them up into 5ths. Hahahah. :)
|

replied May 25th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Is anyone else taking a dha capsule in addition to a prenatal vitamin? It helps with the baby's brain development b/c of the omega-3 fatty acids. It's derived from plants, not fish, so it's safe. The doctor prescribed it. It gets me nauseated some times and gives me bad heartburn, but if it's helping the baby then it's worth it. Just wondering if anyone else was taking it.
|

replied May 25th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
I got mine at walgreens. I went to have my prescription filled, and it was like $28 for 90 vitamins....And at the time my insurance hadn't. Kicked in yet..So I took the walgreens brand that had 240 vitamins, that was like $18. It lasted me my whole pregnancy, and then some (because I forgot to take them *every* day.) I also took iron pills as well since i've always been a bit anemic.
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...