Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Newly Diagnosed With Hypoglycemia

Hi all!
Thanks for all the info so far. Does anyone know the size of a serving for following stan's diet? I can't find where a serving size is posted for meats, berries or lettuces. The diet appears to last 4 days. Does it restart every four days or am I missing something?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2006
Community Volunteer
It repeats. Didn't I say that in there? Basically, though I don't state, you take the day's serving size of meat (however many grams you've decided on) and divide it up evenly for every meal (don't worry about the eggs, keep them as they are and when you eat them). Usually, a serving for each meal of steak or chicken or whatever looks about the size of a deck of cards or a little smaller. I'm pretty sure I specify in there the serving size for berries and lettuce. Berries I know is in there for certain because the amount of fruit is critical. Lettuce is simple, about 2-3 large leaves of it, that's it.
|

replied May 24th, 2006
Newly Dx
Well, I had a visit with the endocrinologist yesterday after I posted. He certainly did not think a blood sugar of 51 was anything to worry about. It makes me feel horrible. He offered an appointment with a diabetic nutritionist, but not until 7/6!!! The 51 was at the end of a 3 hour glucose tolerance test that I had last monday in my search for what is wrong with me. I bottom out around 3 to 3 1/2 hours after eating - so just after I left the glucose tolerance testing I had my most severe symptoms.
I am certainly going to try this diet starting this weekend - the earliest I can get to the whole foods store and stock up on the right kind of foods.
Is food preparation just typical - grilling, steaming or stir frying in olive oil?
I had considered starting back up on fish oil capsules. Any reason not to include that with the other supplements?
What purpose does the brewer's yeast serve?
Anyone know of any helpful books?
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2006
Community Volunteer
There's a thread somewhere in here about books if you look. 51 is low, some diabetics pass out around 55. The doctor is obviously an idiot, it's not the level the sugar drops to but the speed at which it drops. I like to grill most of my meat, but you could also put it in the oven. Frying is not recommended. Fish oil could be perfectly fine, no problems there. Brewer's yeast helps balance your intestinal bacteria, regulates your blood sugar and has a ton of good things in it, including chromium.
|

replied May 26th, 2006
I have been reading all the info in here. I noticed that someone else is trying to loose weight. I started adding the olive oil to my diet and eating six smaller meals a day just two days ago. Tomorrow I have the opportunity to purchase the foods to follow the diet version 6 (i think it is version 6). I am not nearly as active as you are stan, but I hope to feel like being more active once my body adjusts to the new diet. I'm already 26# overweight - I can't really afford any more weight.

Do you think I should limit the evoo right off the bat, or follow the diet exactly as it is presented and limit it later if I start to gain weight?
I'm really hoping that getting the hunger under control with the diet, and regaining some energy will allow me to drop some of this weight.
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2006
Community Volunteer
Limite the what? My diet list there is just a guideline, you don't have to follow it exactly. It was created for the most extreme form of hypogylcemia, the saw-tooth curve, but it should work for everyone. If you think you can handle carbohydrates like brown rice and a piece of whole grain bread, try it, don't think you have to follow what I say exactly. The fat should eliminate the hunger and once on the diet, you should notice weight loss within two weeks.
|

replied May 26th, 2006
Evoo= extra virgin olive oil

thanks so much stan. I am really impressed with your response time, the advice you provide, and the availability of the diet. I will do better following something strictly for a couple of weeks just to break all additictions to the hidden sugars i've been consuming.
I already have had two days with no severe lows - and that is just switching to eating six small meals a day - having no dairy, flour, and cutting the caffeine in half. I look forward to feeling much better in about two weeks.
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2006
Community Volunteer
Great! I hope you do! I like to check on here every day to help people, I know how terrible it was when I first started out having no one to talk to about it and nowhere to go for advice. Keep in mind that you should probably reach like a "stasis" point where it almost feels like nothing is going on, but you'll slowly notice symptoms disappearing, though now and again you'll have days not as good as others. That may not happen, but in case it does I want you to know ahead of time so when it happens you don't feel like you're failing. Oh yeah, and eat the olive oil as I say at the start, you can gradually cut back if you want. You could start at half a tablespoon with each meal to see how that goes, yeah, try that, since you aren't as active as I am yet and are a woman, no offense, it would probably make more sense to do that.
|

replied May 30th, 2006
Wow! I feel so much better. I wish I had started eating this way years ago. I am caffeine, sugar, all sweetener free!!! I have energy again. I woke up with the alarm clock this morning (5:15) and did not even want to hit the snooze button :)
thanks so much stan for providing the diet and a forum for support.
I have found that I had to cut out the berries - even just one strawberry was making me feel bad. I will try a different berry pretty soon. I also had to cut the portions a little bit. I am trying to keep the same fat/protein/fiber ratio, just a little smaller portion of each as it was just too much food for me. Funny how this is so filling and satisfying and I used to be able to eat half a large pizza!
I felt like exercising every day over the weekend, and went on a beautiful one hour hike in a local state park. I have wanted to do that, but have lacked the energy and motivation.
Thanks again for all of the information.
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2006
Community Volunteer
Talk about progress! That's great! Again, remember, if you suddenly get bad this does not mean the diet is wrong, it means it's working. This may not happen at all, but if it does please be aware that it's natural, despite how bad you may feel (if you do feel anything, I assume it won't be that bad at all, just annoying maybe).
|
Quick Reply