Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

My Body My Choice (Page 1)

Now many of you realize that the same four words that were used by the lord jesus to save the world are also used by some to promote abortion

"this is my body."

the same simple words are spoken from opposite ends of the universe, with meanings that are directly contrary to each other.

Scripture tells us that on the night before he died to save all people, the lord jesus took bread, blessed it, broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying,

"this is my body, which is given up for you."

he was pointing to what would happen the next day, when he would give that same body on the cross. He sacrifices himself so that we may live. He gives up his body so that he can destroy the power of sin and death. As a result, he welcomes us into his life, into his kingdom. He makes us members of his body! He sacrafices himself so that he can bring us eternal life though yet unborn of the spirit and and yet unborn to heaven, we are wanted and loved even though we inconvineice him, he loves us so much to make that sacrafice of giving up his body and laying down his life for us.

On the other hand, abortion supporters say, "this is my body. So don't interfere with it! It's mine, so I can do what I want, even to the point of killing the unborn human beings life within. All is secondary to my dominion over my body." in fact one abortion supporter has written, "i say their (pro-lifers') god is worth nothing compared to my body" (michelle goldberg, "rant for choice," in university of buffalo student newspaper, 1995).

"this is my body."

same words, different results. Christ gives his body away so others might live; abortion supporters cling to their own bodies so others might die.

In giving his body, christ teaches the meaning of love: I sacrifice myself for the good of the other person.

Abortion teaches the opposite of love: I sacrifice the other person for the good of myself!

"this is my body." if, indeed, our body is ours, then let's ask the next question: why?

The answer is so that we can give our body, our life, ourself, away in love to one another and to god.

Christ declares, "do this in memory of me."

he calls us to do what he did, and that is precisely how we reverse the dynamic of abortion. Mom and dad must say to their child,

"this is my body, my life, given for you,"

rather than,

"this is my body, my life, so I can kill you!"

human happiness and fulfillment are never found by pushing other people out of the way. They are found when we push ourselves out of the way.

Pope john paul ii says as much in evangelium vitae #51: he who had come "not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many" (mk. 10:45), attains on the cross the heights of love: "greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends" (jn. 15:13). And he died for us while we were yet sinners (cf. Rom. 5:8).
In this way jesus proclaims that life finds its center, its meaning and its fulfillment when it is given up.
At this point our meditation becomes praise and thanksgiving, and at the same time urges us to imitate christ and follow in his footsteps (cf. 1 pt. 2:21).

We too are called to give our lives for our brothers and sisters, and thus to realize in the fullness of truth the meaning and destiny of our existence.

"this is my body."

it is no accident that the same words are used for such different purposes. A spiritual conflict rages here. We win, in our own lives and in the world, by living these words in self-giving, life-giving love, not in selfish life taking acts.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 23rd, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Religious arguments against or for abortion make absolutely no sense! Not everyone believes the same way, if you are going to argue , it is always best to use logic, not relgion.
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
I agree cairifairy!
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
While I am a christian.....I very definitely think that abortion is more a human issue than a religious one. If it were merely a christian one....Then there wouldn't be atheists, agnostics, budhists, pagans, etc. Against abortion. Being pro-life is not about protecting and respecting a religion...It is about protecting and respecting human life.
|

replied May 23rd, 2006
carifairy wrote:
religious arguments against or for abortion make absolutely no sense! Not everyone believes the same way, if you are going to argue , it is always best to use logic, not relgion.

i agree totally with this.
|

replied May 23rd, 2006
Its not a religious argument, its an observation

also christianity is very much a religion intwined with human rights, it is after all the great advocate of human rights, I think the post makes good logical reasoning. I dont think the post is advocating making abortion ilegal, its a post all about choice, making a choice based on love, self sacrafice, self giving, or making a choice based on our own interests

its about respecting ourselves through respect for others, its an interesting comparison to make, the self giving, self sacraficing love of christ, compaired to the self serving attitude that not only exists in the abortion issue but throughout society, it teaches us something that is valuable not only in making a choice about abortion, but in making a choice about how we treat everyone around us.

We can not seperate what christ did for us from human issues, because his sacrafice was for humanity, the entire post although it is coming from a religious perspective is entirely centred on how we as humans treat each other it holds up the love of christ as an example to all of us, not only those who are christian, but every human being, christs sacrafice calls us to contemplate that love, is there a greater love than to lay down your life for your friends, even for your enemies, I can not see that there is can you?

Can one really say that the choice to abort so one can finish collageor because one simply dosnt want a child, is a choice made through love, now I am not saying that a woman should be made to love, love can not be forced, its not even a feeling that is out of our control.... Love is a choice and the choice to love or not to love is something that we are each and everyday called to make in almost every situation we find ourselves in, you chose to love your parents or not, you choose to love you collegues at work or not, its a choice and its not something that can be made on our feelings towards them, we may find our parents agravating, we may not feel uncomfortable around those we work with, but we are capable of making the choice to love.

So the pregnant woman even if she feels adversly towards her unborn child can make the decison to love that child or she can choose not to love that child and the same goes for us too we can choose to love her unborn child and every other unborn child or not.

But on what basis should we decide, what should our choice to love or not be based on.... Our feelings, if that is so, its not love at all, should it be based on the childs abilities or the simple fact the unborn child is a human being, and I think its good to look to christ, he did not select from a list who deserved to be loved based on abilities or on his feelings, he made the choice to love all human beings because they are human beings and so, if christs love is the deepest love, a divine love a pure love that lays down its life for his friends, even for his enemies, then can we really call love based on anything else love at all.
|

replied May 24th, 2006
Why, oh why must someone always bring religion into an abortion debate? I honestly can't say i've ever heard a religious dabate in favor of abortion, but I agree that it still makes as little sense as the religious arguments against abortion.
|

replied May 24th, 2006
Did you even read the posts, they advocate choice
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
cambion wrote:
why, oh why must someone always bring religion into an abortion debate?

because like izzy said religion is intwined with human rights.
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Izzy what a well written posts! Thanks for posting.
|

replied May 25th, 2006
I twisted the deffiniton of the word choice, no I did no such thing.

I simply pointed out that one choice is based on love and self sacrafice and the other is based on selfishness and can never be based on love.

And that our possiton is to either support a choice based on love or a choice based on selfishness

i did not twist the deffinition
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2006
izzy wrote:
i twisted the deffiniton of the word choice, no I did no such thing.

I simply pointed out that one choice is based on love and self sacrafice and the other is based on selfishness and can never be based on love.

And that our possiton is to either support a choice based on love or a choice based on selfishness

i did not twist the deffinition

how do you twist the word choice? Izzy....While obviously not popular on an abortion debate board....Your observation was correct. Bottom line....Some choices are simply wrong....However it is up to each individual to make their own choices right or wrong and then live with the rewards or consequences of such. I agree that your post was well thought out and well written and obviously hit home to a lot of people.....And since it is "your" belief and "your" opinion.....It should be respected as such.... Just as anyone elses opinion on here should be.
|

replied May 25th, 2006
"turned it into do as I believe you should because I am a fundie !**@!."

i only speak of love, I believe love calls us to act towards others in a certain way, but the choice to act that way or not still rests with the person called to act in love, like I say we choose to love or we choose not to love.

"jesus choose to give those things... No fruitcake (i.E., you) forced him to. You can't even figure that out. "

jesus said -

greater love than this no man hath, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

I lay down my life, that I may take it again. No man taketh it away from me: but I lay it down of myself.

He could have let us go to everlasting death, instead he himself choose to lay down his life so that we may be brought to everlasting life, he layed down his life for his friends of his own choice
|

replied May 25th, 2006
"how do you twist the word choice? Izzy....While obviously not popular on an abortion debate board....Your observation was correct. Bottom line....Some choices are simply wrong....However it is up to each individual to make their own choices right or wrong and then live with the rewards or consequences of such. I agree that your post was well thought out and well written and obviously hit home to a lot of people.....And since it is "your" belief and "your" opinion.....It should be respected as such.... Just as anyone elses opinion on here should be."

thus far no one has offered any opinion on the choice at hand, choosing instead to slate my posts for bringing attention to the choice at hand. I really dont need to know peoples choices but we are called to make a choice to love or not to love every second of everyday

the choices in abortion are as simple as this....

The pregnanat woman's choice is to love the child or not love the child obviously a very hard choice to make when faced with the level of self sacrafice needed to raise or adopt a child

our choice is more simple and a lot easier to make.

Support and encourage the choice to love the child.

Or

support and encourage the choice not to love the child.

What makes it even easier than it first appears is you dont even have to support the end to legal abortion to support the choice to love the child.

Legal or not of course as you point out one can respect or at least accept the womans choice to kill her child but seriously speaking can anyone say that it is better to support her choice to kill the child than it is to support the choice to love the child

one can respect or at least accept our choice to drink drive, but should our friends support that choice... I dont think so.

Legal or not if society is in favor of the choice not to drink and drive and our friends dont support our choice when we decided to drink and drive than we are less likely to drink and drive than if society and our friends supported our choice to drink and drive.

So while we dont have to support the end to legalised abortion we can still support and encourage the choice love the child and denounce the choice to kill the child so as to reduce the numbers of abortions by doing so....

I wish I had understood this eairlier, it was the postion of a fellow pro life christian on another board, but I slated them and called them pro choice, I simply couldnt get to grips with it, but now the penny has dropped 2 years later... I wish I could speak to her and appologise for calling her pro choice, but she is no longer on that board.

The drink driving capaign in the uk is a fine example of how we can promote, support and encourage as a society as well as individuals the choice to love the child while allowing each individual their right to spport the end to legal abortion or not

so what most of us on here are faced with is to either put into action..

1. Support and encourage the choice to love the child

or

2. Support and encourage the choice to kill the child

thankfully most of us are not called to make the choice to give birth or kill the child ourselves and for those who have faced that, what ever your choice was, I dont condemn you, I dont hate you, I dont judge you, and I dont want you punished.... But I think you know I can not support your choice unless it was the choice to love your child.
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Izzy
Sometimes when you .Love someone or something, you have to let it go you do not bring something on this earth that will suffer without love, and the basics, food, shelter and will live in pain and you do not want to bring something on this earth to be selfish and when it is not your choice and when you do not know the whole situation ffor example a baby being born without all of its main body parts to survive and not all can be replaced and the dr telling the patient or the pregnant female that it will have to be put on life support after it's birth, I would feel better with a medical abortion, I would feel selfish allowing it to be born under those circumstances but with you telling me that I am wrong by aborting even though you do not know the reason why, to me that is wrong. Just like telling me that I was wrong in aborting a fetus that was so messed up after being injured, you could barely tell it was a fetus and you telling me that I was wrong then if I had not told about the situation just like .Caiifairy aborted hers out of love just like I did you would have said we were wrong, no, we had to make the right decision because we loved them, just like allowing an older person or even a 20y/o that has a mangled body or cancer, we have to allow them to pass on because we love the, sure we could put them on life support and let them linger on but we do not because we love them and do not want them to suffer anymore if they do not pass on naturally.
|

replied May 25th, 2006
How about love for amanda charltons baby who is going to be born with the same problems that your child would have been born with, do you love her child enough to allow your child to live in pain until his death for her childs sake?

Did you even think about her baby and how your child could have helpped hers and evey child after hers born that way?

Did our lady, st mary, christs mother, love us enough to say yes to seeing her son suffer for our sake, selfishness is when we consider only ourselves and what we want, you wanted your child not to suffer, perhaps you even loved your child and I understand it.... But its an action born from selfishness not love, its selfish because you didnt take into acount my baby, nightingales baby, cowboys baby or amanda charltons baby, therefore your action was based on selfishness not love.

But why should you care about my baby or nightingales or cowboys or even amanda charltons...You dont know amanda charlton, and you only know us through words on a screen, you wanna know why you should care? Because if you dont care....Who will?

If someone out there had loved your baby without even knowing him or you, perhaps things may have been different for your child.
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2006
sandralynn wrote:
lolbah has a point-- "support" by definition means to advocate... U cant honestly advocate somthing you are strongly against.

Yes we "support" those that we care about when they make certain choices regardless of whether or not we truly believe they are making the right decision... But when it comes to somthing we stand for, we cant honestly back sombody that stands for the complete opposite. That would not only be lying to them, but lying to yourself.

that is exactly right and well said. I can support you as a person....But I don't have to back or agree with your decision.
|

replied May 26th, 2006
Tina1 is correct, we can still love and support a person, but disagree with the choice she made, we can activily and agressivly oppose the choice she made while still supporting her a lot of great pro life charities do that.
|

replied May 30th, 2006
"but you do have to keep your filthy, fundie nose out of our uterus'"

no one is putting their nose in your uterus, she probably has never met you how can she put her nose in your uterus?

Also what exactly is a "fundie"

you are also a "fundie" are you not?

You are afer all fundementaly pro choice.

What you do with your uterus is your business but killing your children is not a private matter.
|

replied May 31st, 2006
In 2002... 1,082 american children died from violent assault; 2,347 died from a car accident; 32,867 from diesease; 1,310,000 died from legal abortion... Day after day, week after week, year after year, innocent children are quietly and violently killed behind clinic doors... And no one seems to care

-4,000 unborn babies are killed every day in the u.S. Alone
-25,000 are killed each week
-109,000 are killed each month

and...

1.3 million babies are killed through legal abortion each year in the u.S.

Please help to stop the unjustice... Choose life, your mother did.

|