Could you please help me with my condition. I feel ok in the mornings, until after breakfast. When I go sleeping, the next morning I am still tired. More or less at 10:00 my troubles start :
tiredness, bad blurry sight, hunger all day, food crazes, mood swings, stress, sweat, headaches, black under my eyes. My doctor send me for blood tests and teh result was : coxsakie virus b2,3,4,5,6 - positive plus glandfever. He said : nothing will help, I should take berocca on a daily basis and prescirbed anti-depressants & inflamation tablets. I do not feel better & do not know what to do ! Be so kind and tell be what is wrong and what will help !
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2006
Community Volunteer
So do you have hypoglycemia? Were you tested for it? What do you eat in the morning?
|

replied May 22nd, 2006
Fainting & No Energy
I normally eat rusks / left overs from the previous evening / mealiepap for breakfast with coffee and then later on light meals, but do stay hungry for the rest of the day. The doctor did lots of blood tests and it came back with the virus (coxsakie & gland fever) I took by bloodsuger and it was more than once tested 0.8. This cannot be possible - something must cuase this result.
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2006
Community Volunteer
You're confusing me. I guess your english is not perfect. What are you talking about that something else must be causing this result? Where are you from?
|

replied May 22nd, 2006
Experienced User
I too hade glandular fever and spent a week in hospital with it, its around the same time I think I started getting my hypolgycemia. There is nothing the doctors can give u for your glandular fever u just have to rest up good and dont to anything to pyhsical. I had it for about 2-3 months. It does also sound u might have hypo as well. Could there be a connection with hypo and glandular?
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2006
Community Volunteer
Yes, I would say that most likely the glandular fever led to hypoglycemia because of a change in body chemistry. This is common with certain viruses, such as epstein-barr. What is your current diet in terms of symptoms? Do you notice eating certain things seems to make symptoms worse or better? Reading, I see that rusks are a form of bread product that, if you have reactive hypoglycemia, you should not be eating, same for coffee, don't drink it.
|

replied May 23rd, 2006
Fainting & No Energy
Stan - thanks for all you replies. I do appreciate it. I am from johannesburg in south africa. My doctor did not explain to me what I should eat & what not to eat. My diet is quite healthy.
Mornings : coffee / rusks / mealie pap with milk & sugar / toast & marmite or bovril
about 11:00 : toast & coffee with maybe left overs from the previous night like pasta, chicken etc
dinner : home cooked food like rice, vegetables (carrots, peas, beans or cauliflower etc) with red meat / chicken / fish or curry & rice.
About a month ago a took my bloodsugar level for about 4 days in a row and every time it was 0.8. I went to my doctor for bloodtests and he diagnosed me with coxsakie virus & glandular fever. I was not aware that I was not suppose to drink coffee, and will replace it with tea in future. Please be so kind and give me an indication of what diet I should follow. Thanks !
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2006
Community Volunteer
Your diet is actually not as healthy as you think if you have hypoglycemia. Here are the problems with it:

1. Coffee or tea: you can have decaffeinated coffee or tea, but nothing else other than herbal tea. If your coffee or tea has caffeine in it, don't drink it!

2. Rusks: rusks I see are like a bread product, which must be avoided at first, again don't eat this.

3. I don't know what mealie pap is, but if it's a form of grain or bread product, don't eat it!

4. Sugar: do I even need to comment on this? I can't believe you said your diet was healthy and this is part of it. Never, ever eat sugar like this ever again, it's harming you big time.

5. Milk: bad news at first. Unless you can get raw, unpasteurized organic milk forget it. Too much crap in what you get at the stores and it spikes your blood sugar too quickly. Don't drink it.

6. Toast: no bread!

7. Marmite/bovril: never heard of this, but if it's a grain, again, don't eat it!

8. Pasta: no, all forms of it must be avoided at first.

9. Rice: nope, especially white. Some people can handle brown, but it depends on your symptoms.

10. Carrots: no, too much sugar and too many carbohydrates.

11. Peas: same as carrots pretty much, one of the only above ground vegetables that must be avoided at first.

12. Beans are okay as long as they're not dried beans like kidney beans or black beans. Green beans are okay.

13. Look for my diet thread on this forum and read the whole thing over and over to get tips on what to do next.
|

replied May 23rd, 2006
Faithing & No Energy
Thanks stan for all your help. I still cannot understand why the doctors cannot tell a patient this type of detail. I will have a look on the forum for the tips & follow your diet. I will keep in contact with you unless I do not feel better !
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2006
Community Volunteer
Glad to help. Keep in mind that my diet is a benchmark, you don't have to follow it exactly, I just created it to be the perfect diet. It's pretty bland and many people have trouble following it for this reason, but everything on there has been selected purposely. Everything on that list has a purpose in the way it's organized. Doctors just don't recognize the disease much, i'd advise trying to find one that is familiar with the disease to see if any are around, it would help you. Plus, many doctors that hear about it erroneously assume eating more sugar will help, which is totally wrong.
|

replied May 23rd, 2006
Fainting & No Energy
Stan, could you please tell me how can I search for the diet - cannot find it !
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2006
Community Volunteer
It is right below on this forum, stan's diet version 6.
|