Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

arthritis in my back and bulging disks at l4, l5, and s1

I had an mri last week for the chronic back pain i've had for about a year now. Well I spoke with the pa tonight and he said that the mri showed that I have arthritis in my back and bulging disks at l4, l5, and s1 (l5 and s1 being the most severe).

Do any of you know what this means and what I should do for relief besides taking ibuprofen everyday. I'm wondering if pilates might help. Also, I forgot to ask him, is this considered degenerative disk disease? My dad and his sister has this.

A little background from me, i'm a 31 year old female with a 2.5 year old child. I gained 80 pounds on top of being 15 pounds overweight. I have since dropped 67 pounds and have 28 left to get back to my goal weight.

Thanks for any advice on this.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 16th, 2006
Experienced User
Grits,

i'm not being nasty or insensitive as I suffer from severe back pain as well. The first thing that will make you feel better is loosing the weight, I know everytime I get above 220 because my back can't take the weight. And just to let everyone know i'm male, 6' 2" so 220 isn't an outrageous weight for me. The second thing you need to know is if the bulging disc is causing stenosis or compression on the nerve roots as this will cause pain as well as radiculopathy. Most exercise is beneficial, but I am unaware of how pilates work, if the exercise puts any stress on your back then don't do it until you are cleared by a doctor. A useful site that you may want to check out is Spineuniverse good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....