Hi I went to my gyno I have irregular period and I have been trying to concieve. I went in she said to take these pills medroxyprogesterone for 3 months 1 pill a day for 10 days out of a month. She said she is using it to regulate my period. How long do you think it will take for this to work and is this medication work? Have you ever heard of it helping women get prego? I have asked before but I need a differnt opinion

thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper nitabea
|

replied May 16th, 2006
My doctor perscribed this medication to me for one month to induce a period because I had not had a period for 5 months. I was only able to tolerate taking it for 7 days though because I got very bad headaches from taking it. Even though I only took it for 7 days, I still had a period. The way my doctor explained it to me was that this drug would induce a period, but not directly cause me to ovulate. But if your period becomes more regular and you ovulate on a more regular basis than it may be easier to get pregnent. I have not had a period in 5 months, so the doctor explained to me that unless I start having a period naturally, I would have to take a fertility drug like clomid to get pregnent because that shows that I am not ovulating at all.
|

replied May 17th, 2006
Experienced User
So do you think this medication will help me get prego or not?
|

replied May 30th, 2006
Hey,

i am new to this site as well. I have talked to a doctor about bringing on a period. My understanding is that progesterone will bring on a period if you are not getting one at all. I hope this helps. I haven't had one in two months and I am just waiting another week until I take a progesterone supplement.
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2006
Experienced User
I have pcos...I don't ovulate at all and have gone as long as 12 mths without having one. The dr put me on pro. To have a period. They were doing it once every 3 mths. But the peroids were so aweful like that I just went on the pill to have one every mth. And it's not bad at all and lasts no more than 4 days.......I have to have an hsg done and then the Dr. Is starting me on clomid which we have been waiting for for over a year. Good luck to you.
|

replied April 15th, 2011
Hi. I too have pcos. Did you start taking the clomid and if so have you been able to concieve. please reply. desperate for knowledge.
|

replied April 15th, 2011
Hi. I too have pcos. Did you start taking the clomid and if so have you been able to concieve. please reply. desperate for knowledge.
|

replied May 13th, 2009
different
My doc put me on this because i was having no period for a while and then i would bleed heavy for months and i went to see a different doc and he put me on this and he told me to take it for 10 days and it will stop my period and then when it starts back to start my b/c because that will regulate me!!!! hopefully because i want another baby soon!!!
|

replied December 10th, 2009
Hi, my doctor put me on Medroxyprogeserone to start my periods caus since I was a teenager they have never been regula I stopped my period for 4 years and im only 23..me and my fience want a baby so thats why doctor put me on them tablets I started them 4 months ago and my periods started 1 week of taking them well 3/4 weeks ago my period was weired caus I was having my periods on time with them tablets well 3/4 weeks ago I started my period 2 days early and finished 3 days early so my doctor told me to stop taking them caus I might be pregnant! done a pregnacy test and it said I wasn't I done 3 still no pregnant, ever since then iv been feeling not myself Iv had really bad naursia off my food headachs going to bed early just tierd constantly..well my period still not showing and I should of come on last friday but nothing I know im a big girl but im not that big comperd to other girls I now that have had children!!..I did a pregnancy test thisafternoon but said im not pregnant im going to wait till first wee in the morning! and if im not pregnant Im going to be really disapointed caus iv been with my fience for 4 years now and iv not been pregnant so im not sure if it's just me or the tablets have stoped my period!!! X X
|

replied February 1st, 2010
a liitle help
my doctor prescribed this medication for me bk in June because my period would not go off...i took the 10 day dosage and was finished by June 29... i found out i was a month pregnant in early August so i have no doubt that this medicine did it...i am irregular and have been having sex for many years without being on any contraceptive...hope this helps////
|

replied March 17th, 2010
zphin1- were you pregnant and taking the medroxyprogesterone? Same situation happened to me..doctor put me on it and then i week after i finished taking 10mg for 10 days i found out i was 4 weeks pregnant...i'm worried that i should NOT have been on it because i was pregnant...just didn't know??
|

replied April 11th, 2010
hi bella2010,

Did u talk to ur doctor? Even My case is exactly same as yours. Today I just found out that I am pregnant and stopped taking the pills one week ago.
|

replied June 11th, 2010
Medroxyprogesterone
I was put put on medroxyprogesterone 5mg to take on days 10-24 of my cycle. I just took my last pill of the first dose yesterday. I didnt and still dont quiet understand how or when to take these pills. My doc said if i see spotting consider it the start of period and start the pill. I have never been regular but i am only 18. I am married weve been together 3 years and want a baby. I plan to take the pills every month on the first because thats whn i started last month. Is that right? Also will this pill help me get pregnant? If so when should my hubby and i have intercourse for best results of getting pregnant???
|

replied April 25th, 2011
preparing for motherhood2011
hello ladies-

i started taking Medroxyprogeserone in feb (2011)started a cycle a week after being on the medication. april 8th was my last pill that i took. and i havent had a cycle so far for the month of april! normally i wouldve came around the 12th! (had a cycle for feb & march) ive experience lite bleeding but it was brownish color. so i was told i could be going through "implantation". (that bleeding only lasted 2 days) now im wondering how soon after that can i take a "home pregnancy test". its april 25th and still no cycle!!! WISH ME LUCK LADIES!
|

replied November 30th, 2011
Im 50 and was put on medroxyprogesterone to help slow down my heavy bleeing whle on my period.i took it for 10 days,in sept and i didn't see my period anymore now he says im going threw menopause.
|

Im 50 and was put on medroxyprogesterone to help slow down my heavy bleeing whle on my period.i took it for 10 days,in sept and i didn't see my period anymore now he says im going threw menopause.
|

could i be pregnant
Im 50 and was put on medroxyprogesterone to help slow down my heavy bleeding while on my period.i took it for 10 days,in sept and i didn't see my period anymore now he says im going threw menopause.
|

replied December 9th, 2011
Pregnant on progesterone?
Hi,
I went to my doctor today, because I have not had my period in 8 weeks. I have never been regular, but 8 weeks is long, even for me. The home pregnancy test came out negative, so I wanted to have a blood test done, but she told me that I didn't need one, and she put me on medroxyprogesterone. I am worried that I do not have enough HCG to show up on a home test, which I've heard from women on forums is quite common, and that I could be pregnant. So my question is, do I take the medroxyprogesterone if there is still a chance that I could be pregnant? Should I call back and insist on a blood test before starting it?
Thanks.
|

replied December 27th, 2011
MEDROXYPROGESTERONE
Hi Lady's !! I am 31 and I have been off medroxyprogesterone for 2 days now and my husband and I have been trying for a yr now. I was on clomid last year in june and 2mos later found out i was prego but i had a miscarriage a month later since than we have been trying but than hubby left for deployment.. Me personally I prefer the clomid cause i know it works.. my doctor put me on medrox cause i have been having wacky periods since than lol.. but i have had a tubal reversal 3 years ago. so my periods have been up and down.. But again I know clomid works.. now that hubby is back we have been trying and nothing yet.. i have asked my doctor about clomid,and i get medrox. im not sure if this info helps any of you lady's out there but i know i would like to have a child before im 35.. (but i have have to have faith that the god has a time for everything) GOOD LUCK TO ALL LADYS THAT ARE TRYING
|

replied January 12th, 2012
I hadnt had a period in 7 mths. My dr put me on medroxy for 10days. After the 10 days i got my period for 7 days. It was a really heavy flow from day one to day 7. Now its time im supposed to get mt pd again but still no period. Do i need to go to dr and take medroxy again? I took a pregnancy test & it came out negative. My boyfriend and i hav been trying for a baby. Our oldest child wants another baby but still we havent had any luck tryinh. I dnt know what else to do. Do i go to dr n ask for medroxy again, i need help to concieve. With my first born i was fertile mertile now i cant conceice at all
|

replied April 23rd, 2012
a little help on provera
LADIES...here is some help
1. yes u can get prego off medroxyprogestrone
2. ur period should come after the tablets or u can spot while on them...(talk 2 doc they may tell u stop taking so long)
3.clomid the best thing to take to get prego w/ medroxy days 5-9 worked for me
4. provera(medroxy)shouldnt harm ur baby some doc prescribe it when ur preggo...seriously u guys should talk 2 ur docs about everything...
i switched mine until i found the right one to explain everything i wanted an needed to know...
good luck
just be patient
|

replied January 8th, 2014
i just turned 30 in October......i went last month and the Dr put me on medroxypr 10mg me and my hubby of ten years are trying to get pregnant and my periods are never regular sometimes i have one and sometimes i don't. i took the pill for ten days my last day was a friday and i started on sunday and had a regular period so im hoping this month is the same and im praying that we get pregnant my only worry is how will i know im pregnant if im taking the pill to have a period Question Rolling Eyes
|
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....