Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Dentures At a Young Age (Page 1)

I am a 27 year old woman that was just told I need nearly $10,000 worth of bridgework. My dental insurance will pay only 20% of that, but will pay 100% of the cost of pulling all my teeth and full upper and lower dentures. I have no money for expensive dental work and my teeth hurt. I went ahead and set up the appointment to have my teeth pulled and dentures placed. This will be in less than two weeks. Can anyone tell me what I will go through when they pull all my teeth? How long will it take for me to get used to wearing dentures? I am still dating. I am very afraid that a guy will be turned off once he finds out I wear false teeth. Can anyone give me some advice?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kalinjax
|

replied May 18th, 2006
I'm a dentist & I would really advise against having your teeth pulled. Not because it's unpleasant as a procedure but because of the long term implications. With time the bone will shrink where you've had teeth removed from and it will become increasingly difficult to get dentures to fit at all and you will lose some facial profile. Please think long & hard about it. I know it's expensive but try to find a compromise at least! I wish I could have a look!!!
|

replied December 3rd, 2009
Reply to your dental issue
Midwest girl. I too am a Midwestern girl, and I too understand your pain, No pun intended. I've suffered from dental issues for such a long time. I've tried just about everything. One dentist will say "save your teeth" the other will say, "You're better off with them out" I have been on the fence about this for so long. I am to in pain, and I cannot afford to have all the dental work too. Most dentist that tell you not to have your teeth pulled are looking out for your best interest in your gums and appearance, but they don't realize the cost associated with a lower income. A fact is that most dental insurance sucks! With that being said, I understand why it's nearly easier for someone to decide to pull all their teeth out rather than to be in dental debt! Some insurance companies will only pay for so much per year also, so there for if you are in pain, some of that pain may have to wait! When you're in pain, that's not really an option! Let me know what you decided to do! I've been told.. pull, pull, pull, and I've also heard save them, save them, save them! The majority of my teeth issues have come from sinus infections, and strange enough I've not had a dental professional once dignaose me correctly. I guess they all assume that we just don't brush our teeth and or all on some kind of drug that distroys our teeth. Which is sadly not true! I also stem from a long line of people in my family having issues with their teeth. Lucky me!
|

replied December 7th, 2009
I have had problems since childhood with my teeth. I have a full upper denture now. The pain wasn't too bad because I had an immediate denture put in. I am considering having the bottom taken out because they are in poor shape like the top. I have had numerous dentists judge me and critisize me but they dont understand I have brushed my teeth.

|

replied December 8th, 2009
At your age I would simply leave it be and save up to get implants later. Wear a partial denture or even a full acyrlic denture over what teeth you have. This is no worse than having full false teeth and at least you have option later on of having bone grafts and implants. If you have top front teeth out you will age!
I am bit older but fighting to maintain teeth after dire dentist. If you see no prospect though of having more money in say 10 years time then maybe could be best to have them out, otherwise worry will go on and on. Advice here is not professional but just what I as a lay person would do. Good luck girl.
|

replied January 4th, 2010
I'm curious to what you've decided to do. I'm 51 and have been fighting for years to keep my teeth and am tired of the expense and the pain. My mother had dentures at 29 or 30 because she was faced with huge dental bills and dentures were a far cheaper option. She's 72 and has had virtually no problems with her dentures over the years.
|

replied January 25th, 2010
In Pain in WV/OH/KY
I too am a 27 year old, facing the same issues expressed in many of the posts here. I'm a guy in my twenties fighting with dentists who think that either i haven't taken care of my teeth or that I'm some sort of addict that has taken its toll on my teeth. Neither is true. Both my parents had to get dentures in their 20's because of bad or eroding enamel. MY brother just turned 30 and he's just had the same problem. He chose to go with the denture option. I am leaning that way just because i am FED UP with all the pain. So if you are ever in OH/WV area, I'd would be glad to take you out LOL we youngsters with bad teeth and not druggies need to stick together. I am so sick of dentists acting like I did something to make myself have this problem, and on top of the cynicism, a lot of them won't prescribe me antibiotics or pain medication..BECAUSE THEY THINK THE DETERIORATION IS DRUG RELATED. This is the one that really kills me. "Take 800mg of Ibuprofen and deal with it." thats the one that kills me when I've already developed ulcers from taking so much ibuprofen. Well good luck with your decision. May we ALL be without dental pain sooner than later..
-- DAVID IN THE TRI-STATE OH/WV/KY
|

replied February 5th, 2010
Hi, i am agree with Gooders. Suggestion given by him is really very good not for his professionalism but its true, that it will be painful.

|

replied March 2nd, 2010
scared of having a denture?
I am 60 years old & had a full top denture fitted when I was 18!! If this is what you need (for whatever reason) don't worry! I have only had two dentures in all that time & had many compliments on my lovely "teeth", Only my husband knows I have false teeth & I clean them with the bathroom door locked!! - I have no "sunken" jaw or any of the other horrible things people are saying you will have - I can honestly say people say I look 15 years younger than I am, & they dont know I have a denture! - If they re not comfortable at first, keep having them adjusted until they fit perfectly! Good luck!!
|

replied March 2nd, 2010
Dentures on the down low
The guy taking about dating women with dentures.... My uncle is a dentist here in Sacramento, Ca, and he says that some of his clients spouses don't even know that they have dentures. I know he is really good at what he does, and also uses new technology. Maybe that is why....? Fascinating stuff!
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied July 23rd, 2013
Hello- I am 25 years old and needing dentures due to soft teeth and hereditary erosion. I am TERRIFIED and feel way too young for this. i live in the Sacramento area..can you email me your uncles info? I'd love to go to him for this.
|

replied March 9th, 2010
Im almost ashamed to post this because I am only 20 years old but in 2 hours I will be going to my dentist for a consultation about dentures...I had tried to save my teeth but I believe there is no hope I brush and floss use mouth wash and have even spent lost of money on expensive tooth blushes and anything else you can think of but they just keep getting worse I use to have a decent smile but once i had my two children very close together they literally stole all my calcium and my teeth went stay to you know where....bad teeth also run in my family its a gum thing...The only person that has made it with a pretty smile is my middle sister...My oldest sister is also trying to make the decision of getting dentures...I am going to go through with it because thats the only way my Insurance will help me!! and why not just get it over with now knowing im going to have to do it evertually anyways...I don't really know your story but I know mine and its getting bad so today Im going to talk about stopping the pain and just geting it over with!! I hope the decision you make is the right one for you and I hope the one I have made is the right decision.
|

User Profile
replied May 27th, 2010
i have 2 teeth on a small plate will i get used to being there as i so want to take it out ?
|

replied May 28th, 2010
LOSING THE BATTLE
I just turned 50, and have been fighting this dental battle since I was 23. I have had 30 oral surgeries, root canals, gum grafting, you name it, I have had it done. I have spent at least $100,000 dollars and have basically lost the battle. All my molars are gone, due to failed bridges. I now have dental implants on my lower right side which hold a 4 tooth bridge. I have 7 natural teeth a top, and now am wearing a partial which hurts because the bridge on the right side fell out, leaving broken teeth in my head. I wear this nasty flipper just so I can at least chew. I love my dental implants, and was going to finish restoring my mouth, when the money I had saved, had to be used to buy a car, after mine had been stolen. I have had 4 deep scalings 4 times a year, from my periodontist, along with 2 regular cleanings from my regular dentist. I have had nothing but misery and pain. I have done everything right, and always get bad news. Just went to periodonitist for a deep scaling and cleaning on Wednesday, May 26. I have been told that I now need an upper partial denture, due to the bridges failing and falling out. I have broken teeth in my head that are so painful. I can't take this anymore. I am so ashamed at this point, I don't even want my husband to kiss me or look at me. I hate when people think oh you should of taken care of your teeth, well guess what, I can show you how I've taken care of them above and beyond what most people do, and having 6 cleanings a year and the amount of money I have spent. I am the only one in my family with dental problems, and just don't understand why I have finally lost the battle. All I can do is cry, and feel so bad about it. I know its not the worst thing in the world, but it is if it's your mouth.

I don't understand after doing everything right and properly, why has my adult life been filled with nothing but dental misery. 27 years of cleanings, water picks, flossing, brushing at least 5 times a day, and the end is near for whats left of my teeth.

Thank you, I just needed to vent.
|

replied May 28th, 2010
Thank you so much macbazzy for your kind words in information. I am so happy I found this site, with people who can understand and relate to dental issues. It's been a horrible dental journey, and after spending so much money, only to come to this, is so emotional. People who do not have dental problems, do not understand any of this. What I want to say, is all the molars that the peridontist did all those surgeries on, are all gone. I truly think that if I never had those surgeries, I might still have them. I lost my upper right molars in 2003. My dentist said they were infected and could not be saved, and if I did not have them removed, I would lose all of my upper teeth. That terrified me, so I did it, and like I said, was given a flipper, which did more damage to my good teeth. My upper right bicuspid (canine tooth), is so loose and ready to fall out, due to the friction of the flipper, rubbing and destroying healthy gum tissue. I have done everything I could to save my teeth, and if I had all these dental issues due to neglect or drug use, maybe I could accept it, but I can't and that is not the case. I just have the burden of dental issues.

I would appreciate the gmail addy. I think it may just be the miracle I need at this point

I don't know if any of you feel this way, but when I constantly see commercials for lumineers and teeth whiteners, I get so upset. I wish to God my problem was not having a bright eye stopping smile.

People out there getting breast implants, butt implants makes me wonder where are our priorities in society. Why does dental insurance not cover dental implants? Teeth are not a luxury, they are a necessity.
|

replied May 29th, 2010
I just wanted to add, I didn't mean that insurance companies pay for breast implants or any type of cosmetic procedure surgeries.

My point was, I don't understand why dental insurance won't help cover the cost of implants. They will cover some of the crown expense, but it's the actual implant post that should have some type of coverage. My 2 dental implant came to $11,000.00, due to the fact I also needed a bone graft before I could actually have the implant surgery. I also ended up with nerve damage on the bottom right side of my lower lip. It's like an upside triangle of no longer having any feeling, but worth it to me. I knew it could be a side effect of the surgery, and as usual, I always tend to have the side effects.

So many people would benefit from dental implants, but it's still not a covered procedure.

Like I said, teeth are a necessity, they are not a LUXURY. Good oral health, is so important, to our bodies.
|

replied May 29th, 2010
Hi,for the young lady considering dentures,I was 15 when I had to get a set of dentures,at that age I was determind to get used to them ,once they went in my mouth I never took them out except to clean them ,I am 70 years old now, no one has ever seen me without them,not even my husband,when I had my daughter the first thing I asked for were my teeth;I realy don't remember my naturel teeth except for the pain they gave me...good luck
|

replied May 29th, 2010
Hi,for the young lady considering dentures,I was 15 when I had to get a set of dentures,at that age I was determind to get used to them ,once they went in my mouth I never took them out except to clean them ,I am 70 years old now, no one has ever seen me without them,not even my husband,when I had my daughter the first thing I asked for were my teeth;I realy don't remember my naturel teeth except for the pain they gave me...good luck
|

replied November 4th, 2010
Every single tooth on the upper part of my jaw is bad. Maybe one or two of them can be saved....But I cant eat. With the pain I cant sleep. My job doesnt give me hours cause they have none for me, I also dont qualify for unemployment yet. my place of employment doesnt give insurance either. i cant find work...And there is nobody that can help me get my teeth fixed. I have at least 15 teeth in my mouth that hurt very much. im 27 also. its depressing...I just want to be able to smile at the one i love....
|

replied November 4th, 2010
I wish I could at least afford dentures, But Im drowning in debt as it is. im just sitting back and enjoying my time with the one I love until this turns into mouth cancer or something and kills me....
|

replied November 18th, 2010
My history is a bit different.I took a drastic decision.
I work as a model and was offered by a reputable bureau a contract. I met up with my portefolio and they were very nice. But then the shock came.They said that my teeth were far to bad looking and if I did have a total makeover I would get the contract. I told I could not afford that and they said that they could pay for dentures. Well I accepted that and had all teeth pulled and got full dentures not even 20yrs. I got a total collapse mentally seeing myself without and pain from the dentures and feeling the mouth full of plastic. Now a year after I am the worlds happiest. I got two sets one for the shoots and one dayly. I have no pain, no difficulty with eating other than some food sticks to the plastic. I have a wonderful smile. The dentist told me that it was because I had so good bone and large gums. Having no problems no I cannot say that dentures are a catastrophy but of course my own teeth were a bit better. So for those being young if you have pain don't hesitate to get dentures before the bone gets too bad.
Dating?? Well, it was traumatic the first timesbut being open it was not any problem most boys accept and even is interested in the dentures.
What was very odd was that more than I ever thought among the models had full dentures.
|
Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....