Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

I'm a 14 Female And Only 5 Feet Tall. Will I Grow Anymore? (Page 1)

This is a bit of a sore subject as I am the shortest girl in my entire grade. Im getting more anxious as my sister who is 3 years younger than I am is my exact height. Do you think I will grow anymore or this is my final height? Thank you. :d
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kitty_55
|

replied August 15th, 2003
Experienced User
It is difficult for someone online to speculate as to whether or not you may continue to grow or not. Your height has to do with genetics. Are both your parents tall? Are your parents short? Have you always been small? Have you already gone through your major growth spurt during puberty? These are all things that you need to take into consideration. Chances are if you have already gone through you major growth spurt during puberty, you may only grow another couple of centimetres or so. But, again, this all depends on your genes! You and your sister are different...Heck...My bro is 5 years younger than me..And is already 6'1"...I'm only 5'6". Height is something you dont really have much control over hun. Sorry! Rolling Eyes Smile
|

replied September 17th, 2003
I wouldnt worry about it too much...
I am 30 years old and only 5'1...My son is taller than me..
He is only 10 years old..
|

replied October 4th, 2003
Hey!
Haha, yes you may grow. You may not. I stoped at 14 I am still 14 but yea=) haha. Im like 5'9 I think iv stoped. My mom said that I just drank alot of milk! Haha sorry. Im sure you'll grow more. Just give it time. Good luck!

Kelsey Wink
|

replied November 17th, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
Hey
Well depends how tall is your mom and dad?Nana and papa? I am 16 years old and I am just 5 ft my mom is only 5"2 and my dad is 5"5 so I dont think I will grow much more...It sux I hate being short but I cant do nothing about it..
|

replied February 25th, 2004
Hey you may have stopped growing but no one can know that for sure I know that when I was in grade 8 and 13 ( i'm now 19 ) I had finished growing i'm 5'3 and a quarter lol. But hey good things come in small packages. My family is all taller than me my sister who is 13 is 5'6 my brother whos 15 is 6 ft and my other brother who is 18 is 6 ft so I guess you never know my dads 5'5 and my moms 5'6 but my dads brother are all tall. And who ever said being short was a bad thing. I consider it a great thing.
|

replied March 7th, 2004
You Can Tell How Much Growing You Have Left
Most women hit bone maturity about 12-15 yrs old. This means you are not going to grow much! Mds will often use what they call a bone age x-ray. This is an x-ray of your hand and based on the growth plates in your hand they can tell if you are going to grow much more. It is not an exact science but it can let you know if you are done growing.
|

replied March 26th, 2004
Hey im 14 too but im 5'3 and my sisters 16 almost 17 and shes only just 5' my mom is only 5'1 and I think my dad is I think prolly bout 5'8 or so. Theres still probally some hope for u!!! Most all of my girls in my class r the same height as me cept maybe like 4 girls but one is only I think like not even 5'! Sucks to be her! I think its kool to be short b.C if u play basketball or soccer u can get right in the middle and steal the ball the short ones also can run faster. If ur a cheerleader then u can be the stunt girl!! Laughing my sis got to be the lucky one for that job in our school! So hopefully I gave u some hope but idk like others said depends on ur family!! Laughing mucho luck!
|

replied April 8th, 2004
Possibly
Contury to popular belief most women are fully physically developed by 14 (whereas myself as I bloke took until 21 before I grew a beard).

So it's possibly you may not grow any higher. I certainly know lots of women as short as you.

You could say not a big deal since it's common, but i'd disagree. You might continue growing, it's hard to say. Look at your mother and grandmother.

Women are shorter than men because estrogen inhibits growth.
|

replied April 9th, 2004
Experienced User
I didn't stop growing until I was about 16-17. I was about 5'8" at 14 and grew to 5'11" by about 16.. So while some stop early, some grow late. Unfortunately there's no way to tell which way it will happen.
|

replied April 9th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Five feet tall is not that short! I am five one. I stopped growing at 13. It all depends on the individual person. But, being five feet tall is not bad at all. At least you got that tall!
|

replied June 25th, 2004
Small is beautiful!
|

replied July 14th, 2004
Well I Am 24 Yrs Old And
I just got a phyiscal today - I have been 5'4 since 7th grade - I got a growth spurt this summer at 24 yrs of age - I think it is odd and I am not sure if it is normal. I am not a little over 5'5 and it just happened all of the sudden... So I guess you never know.
|

replied July 15th, 2004
Experienced User
I'm a Shorti Too!
Hey girl! I'm 17 (18 in two months), and i've been 5"1' since 9th grade. I'm not going to grow anymore, and this is my final height. It's possible that you may grow some more. A good way to determine your final height is to look at your relatives. If most of them are fairly short, you can bet that you will be too. Smile
|

replied July 29th, 2004
Experienced User
You cant do anything to change your height. It is all about genetics and heredity. Dont think or worry about it.
|

replied June 28th, 2005
Re: I'm a 14 Female And Only 5 Feet Tall. Will I Grow Anymor
melodybreeze14 wrote:
this is a bit of a sore subject as I am the shortest girl in my entire grade. Im getting more anxious as my sister who is 3 years younger than I am is my exact height. Do you think I will grow anymore or this is my final height? Thank you. :d

i am 14 and I am only 4'5'' in my family it is genetic my mom is 4'11'' my twin sister who is younger by 1 hour 11 minutes is 5'5'' so I think it depends on your genetics ask your mom when she stopped growing and ask your dads sisters (if any.) everyone is different. And everyone is cool in there own way! :lol:
|

replied July 11th, 2005
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
|

replied July 11th, 2005
Experienced User
Me Too
Dont worry im 14 and exactly 5 feet too... Although I still do have a major growth sprurt that I should be getting anyday now which is another thing that im wondering is ever going to happen lol.
|

User Profile
replied July 11th, 2005
Experienced User
Short Is Not All That Bad
I know what you mean I was 5'1" until I was 21 then I grew one inch... I was happy I was not as short as my aunt 4'10".....

You may grow more you may not... Although it may not be much more... Besides the average height for women is less than 5'4"....
|

replied July 21st, 2005
Youll Grow
I just turned 14 and im 6ft (male) my father is 5'9'' and my mother is 5'9'' but ill probably end up being about 6'4'' to 6'6'' or maybe bigger so its nothing to do with height of parents. Chances are youll be about average like 5'4''
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....