Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Normal Hida Scan But Surgery Recommended

I am a 48 year old female with no previous serious gastric problems. I had a hida scan done 2 weeks ago with an ejection fraction of 85%. That seemed pretty efficient to me! But my ultrasound showed sediment in the gallbladder as well as an "artifact" which I assume is a gallstone. I've had annoying symptoms, primarily at night of colicky pain under my right rib cage, a deep gnawing pain in my sternum going through to my back, and sporadic pain in my right shoulder blade in back. I am usually nauseous the next morning. When I had the hida scan done, I became very nauseous when the medicine was injected but it was put in very quickly in about 3 minutes. The surgeon I just met with said that was a definite indicator that my gallbladder should be removed. Now I understand that the medicine should have been much more slowly injected over about a 20-40 minute time frame. I had an endoscopy done also, and except for a mild sliding hiatal hernia, everything else was fine. Being that my symptoms are only about once a week and usually just annoying, I don't know whether to go through with the surgery (scheduled on june 2nd) both the gastroenterologist and the surgeon (who only performs gastric surgeries) both say surgery is recommended. They don't know each other.
On a side note, I also have 2 lower ribs on my right side which are not fully attached to the sternum but floating around in a sea of broken cartilege. They are not painful, but they are in the same area, my gallbladder would be right under them.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 5th, 2006
Surgery Reccomended Dispite Normal E/f
I wouldn't do it yet. You were nauseated and had pain because the cck was injected too fast. I inject it over about 10 to 15 minutes, no longer than 20.
85% e/f is perfectly normal. But people in a lot of pain often move, sometimes without even realizing it. That can cause a false reading. I would have it repeated, done correctly. Make sure you fast at least 4 hours, no more than 12. No narcotic pain medicines or nausea remedies with in 8 hours or longer. Make sure you stay absolutely still during the ejection fraction phase. Even the most innocent shift can ruin the test. Breathe normally, no deep breaths. Treat your cough before doing the test. A non-narcotic cough drop is ok.
Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....