Hello, not all of you will understand this but, i'm a cutter and it has become an addiction. To add to that, I think i'm also becoming addicted to alcohol. I go out and get dizzy-drunk 4 days a week. It gives me liquid courage and confidence. The cutting takes my mind off all of my negative thoughts and makes me go emotionally numb. I've started combining the two and am really beginning to hate myself more. I'm 19 years old. What should I do? I'm ashamed, embarrassed, and don't want anybody to know the severity of any of this.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 3rd, 2008
Supporter
I'd go and see a psychiatrist get medication and lay off the booze.
|

replied June 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I agree with Harmony. You need to seek professional help. Self medicating with alcohol is not going to help. Self harm is a symptom of much deeper issues. You are in pain and you need to see a therapist to help you sort out these issues.
|

replied June 3rd, 2008
Drinking that often may lead to life long withdrawal issues whenever you have a drink like I've got, so slow that down. Checking with your family doctor for anti-depressants is probably one of the best routes, maybe take time off work while you try them out. They can definately change your life for the better
|

replied June 4th, 2008
Re: Pain Addict and then some
It sounds like you are tired of feeling like this and doing the things that you are doing. You also sound like you are willing to admit that there may be a problem with you. You suffer with the disease of addiction and it will kill you if you don't seek help. There is no shame in asking for help. A start would be to look into addiction treatment centers in your area. You are suffering spiritually and psychologically. The cutting most certainly won't improve until you have sobered up. I'm not talking about a day without alcohol or drugs, I am talking about a longer period of abstinence. You can do this. If there is not a drug or alcohol treatment center in the area, try walking into an Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotic Anonymous meeting. There are people there that have been through what you have and they are waiting to help you. There is life after this and you will wonder why you stayed in your problem so long when you start to find your way out of it. Hope this helps!
|

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2008
Experienced User
Ive done a similar thing myself
i stayed off the drink..went to the docs tell them everythn
they may give u medication and refer you to a phycolligist
And believe me it wil help you
|

User Profile
replied October 10th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
You should consult psychiatrist for psychotherapy sessions like CBT.
Habit reversal training is the best and ultimate option for you.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Addiction, Recovery , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.