Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

I feel tired even after 12 hours of sleep...what causes such

User Profile
For the last month I have been sleeping for 12 hours straight not waking up or anything and it is a deep sleep where i wake up and look at the clock thinking to myself "there is no way i slept for that long". Even after sleeping for so long I find myself really tired and wanting to go back to bed. I am a night shift worker but do spend time outside regularly every day after I drag myself out of bed. I was recently tested to see if my thyroid was low and did not need to up my meds also i was tested for vit b-12 and alot of other things that may come cause my sleeping they all came back negitive. I have also tried the whole only sleep for 8 hours and wake myself up, but i was soo tired I would fall asleep while at work. What could be the problem with me?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2006
Sleep Disorders Answer A971
Sleeping problems such as you are experiencing can be psychiatric. Depressive disorders can cause the body to desire unconsious states. Hypothyroidism also contributes to this condition. You can visit a psychiatrist or other mental health professional to assess the condition and offer recommendations for treatment.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sleep Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.