I have an aoppointment with the doctor for family planning. What exactly is a family planning appointment? I guess what I really want to know is if there will be a physical examination or if they will just sit down and talk to me. I realize that different doctors will vary in what they might do, but i'm hoping to get an idea of what to expect.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 19th, 2006
Experienced User
If you don't know what a family planning appointment is, then why do you have one? How old are you? Is this something your parents set up? Sounds like you're being put on birth control, which requires a physical examination.
|

replied April 19th, 2006
Well, I guess I feel like an idiot now.

Isipes said "if you don't know what a family planning appointment is, then why do you have one?"

i have an appointment because my husband and I are trying to have a baby.

Isipes said "how old are you?"

i'm 31

isipes said "is this something your parents set up? Sounds like you're being put on birth control"

my parents did not set it up and I certainly don't want to be on birth control if i'm trying to get pregnant.

I guess this was the wrong place to ask my dumb question. Thanks amyway though.
|

replied April 19th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Re: What Is Family Planning?
ccs wrote:
i have an aoppointment with the doctor for family planning. What exactly is a family planning appointment? I guess what I really want to know is if there will be a physical examination or if they will just sit down and talk to me. I realize that different doctors will vary in what they might do, but i'm hoping to get an idea of what to expect.

Thanks

your family planning appointment should probably include a pap smear and a breast exam. He may also ask how long you've been trying, what you've been using for birth control, etc.

Good luck!
|

replied April 22nd, 2006
Quote:
we're all a bit on edge. Sorry if you were offended.

sorry I was offended. I guess I reacted like a 13 yr old. My appointment is still a few weeks away. I called the dr's office and asked them. This particular doctor does a consultation and not a physical exam during a family planning appointment.
|

replied April 22nd, 2006
Experienced User
My post wasn't meant to be offensive. What sandralynn said was correct. I thought you were a young girl... Every time i've had a "family planning" appointment, it was to be put on birth control.
I would assume they will look at your cycles and try to chart them out so that you know exactly when you're ovulating, give you a pap, etc. Are you having fertility problems or are you just starting out on the trying?
It's not isipes. It's l. :) everyone says i! Lol
anyway, as I said, I wasn't trying to offend, but your op didn't give much detail so how was I to know? My apologies.
|
Tags: pregnant
Quick Reply
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....