Medical Questions > Womens Health > Infertility Forum

What is TSH? What does it mean to have high TSH Levels?

User Profile
hi i was wondering if u can tell me wot tsh is or wot it does. i attend the infertillity clinc and they had done blood tests it came bk saying my baseline hormone levels are ok but my tsh is slightly raised its sumthing to do with my thyroid.i am over weight could this have sumthing to do with it.
thanx debbie

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2006
Infertility Answer A966
Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) is a hormone produced by the pituitary gland. Its task is to stimulate the thyroid gland to produce thyroxin. Thyroxin is a very important hormone responsible for many functions in the body, including reproduction. TSH is raised during two principle scenarios. The first, when the thyroid gland produces a low amount of thyroxin, causes the pituitary gland to react and want to stimulate the thyroid gland to produce more thyroxin by producing more TSH. In that case, TSH levels are high and thyroxin levels are low (or normal) in the body. The second situation finds the pituitary gland producing more TSH, regardless of the level of thyroxin in the body. In this cas,e both TSH and thyroxin levels are high. Besides increased TSH, it seems that you also have another hormonal disorder, poly-cystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). Obesity and sterility are symptoms of PCOS. You can check your blood levels for testosterone, DHEA, and insulin at your GP's office.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Infertility , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.