Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Can Stress Be Doing This?? (Page 1)

Hello,

this all started after the new year. I workout regularly. I have lost over 85lbs, and was on a great path to health and fitness. My diet is very clean, no sweet, no alcohold, and I don't do any drugs or smoke.

For the past 4 months, my energy has gone down, and is now at the point where all I want to do is sleep. My lymph nodes under my jaw line are swollen, but not painfull... And my neck hurts daily. I no longer have energy to lift weights, or do any type of physical activity. I went to my doctor, she ran a full blood test to include the ebv and cmv (mono) as well as doing a heart rate monitor (24 hour). She said everything came back fine. I was in extremely great health. I know that testosterone wasn't check, but i'm not sure if that is the problem.

I went out of town down to florida for 4 days, and felt much better on the last day. This lasted 3 days, after getting back, and then fell off again. I tried running, but when I run... After 20 minutes, I get dark bags under my eyes, break into cold sweats, and feel extremely weak and fatigued. I had my house tested for mold and co2 and everything was ok. My doctors also did a lung capcity test and said that I cannot exhale as much as a normal male can. I had a chest x-ray done, she's looking into that as well.

Can anyone help explain this? It doesn't matter how much I rest/sleep, what I eat, if I try to workout or not, i've even changed buildings at my work.

My symptoms are:

extreme fatigue
swollen lymph nodes (glands)
sore neck
cold hands and feet
blurred vision
night sweats

i want my life back. I have been under some stress. This time last year, I had just pruchased a home, and I got married in september of last year. Our finanaces aren't great, and I know I have a lot of anxiety.

Thanks for any help!

O
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 12th, 2006
Experienced User
Wow.... 20 views, and not one answer...

Maybe it's in my head.
|

replied April 13th, 2006
Swollen lymph nodes is never a good sign. It could be some sort of infection, or cancer :? Or hyperthyroidism, since you mentioned sore neck.
|

replied April 13th, 2006
Experienced User
Well, the only thing that doesn't make sense, is why when I go away, do I feel better ?

Also, I should add that my lats also seem very sore. This is the only muscle soreness I have.
|

replied April 13th, 2006
Did u check out lyme disease?
|

replied April 14th, 2006
Experienced User
Well, as far goes as ld, I have all the symptoms, except for no rash or red marks.
|

replied April 14th, 2006
Experienced User
Hey there,

i'm no expert but I do think it could be stress related...As you said when you went away you felt better, maybe it was getting away for a bit that helped. I'm not saying it helps everyone but I had stress related depression a couple of years back and I was signed off work and felt tired all the time etc, generally run down all the time, my work actually put me to a councillor and it helped me to talk about things, maybe that could be worth a try as bottling things up never helps.

I hope you start to feel better soon
|

replied April 14th, 2006
Experienced User
Tess,

thanks for the info. Did you have swollen lymph nodes?

I think what i'm going to do, is go stay with someone for 4-5 days. If I feel better, I know it's something in my house. I just want to be sure before I start any type of stress related/anxiety meds.
|

replied April 14th, 2006
Experienced User
I honestly can't remember if I did or not but I just generally felt crap/tired and run down!

Yeah I think thats a good idea then you can go back to the doctor and tell them what you've done and see if they can suggest anything.
|

replied April 14th, 2006
Experienced User
Yeah, I get that a lot. I think unless they're painful, most people don't realize they're enlarged. I have read that stress cannot cause this problem (swollen lypmh nodes).

We'll see what the doc says on monday.

Thanks!
|

replied April 14th, 2006
Experienced User
No problem, let me know how you get on!
|

replied April 14th, 2006
Experienced User
Will do. I'm still worried that this might be a mold issue.

The mold inspector says there is moisture behind my shower wall. I'm going to live with a family member for the next 4-5 days to see if I feel better. I'll still be working, and probably more stressed since I won't be home with my wife.

If I feel better, i'll know what's going on.
|

replied April 16th, 2006
Experienced User
Well, tomorrow i'll be heading to my doctors appt to get my results of my chest x-ray. I'm also going to request getting put on something for "stress/depression/anxiety"

i'll be heading to my uncle house on tuesday to stay with him for 4 days to see how I feel. I'm testing this to see if I feel better, because being away from my home (in florida) for 4 days, I felt great!

We shall see.....

I just want to feel better again :(
|

replied April 17th, 2006
Experienced User
Well... Chest x-ray came back fine.

My doctor doesn't believe stress is causing the problem with my lung capsity (i can breathe in 100%, but only exhale 50% of an average human my age).

I'm leaving to stay with my uncle tonight for the next 4 days. If I feel the way I did coming back from florida this saturday, i'll know for sure it's something in my home.

Where to go from there... I have no idea....
|

replied April 19th, 2006
Experienced User
Hey you - just thought i'd say hi and that I hope you feel better after staying with your uncle for a few days!

Let us know how you feel!
|

replied April 19th, 2006
Experienced User
Thanks tess!

So far, the only thing I have noticed is that my lymph nodes have decreased over the past 48 hours. It's been 48 hours since entering my house. It took over 5 days to feel better before...

We shall see...
|

replied April 20th, 2006
Experienced User
Well, it's been almost 3 days since i've been away from home, and I don't feel any better. At this point, it could still be anxiety/stress.

I was looking @ effexor. Anyone used this?
|

replied April 21st, 2006
Experienced User
Well, I spent over 4 days away from my house, and I still feel the same way, at sometimes worse. I'm starting to see more and more that this could very well be some type of depression/stress/anxiety.

I'm going ot ask my doctor what she recommends I do.
|

replied April 21st, 2006
Experienced User
Aww thats not so good sweetie! Go back to your doc and see what she says!

I hope you start to feel better soon!
|

replied April 22nd, 2006
Experienced User
Thanks tess!

I tried to workout this morning, and it didn't go so well. :x

i felt run down within minutes of trying to lift, and I was doing half my normal weights. I didn't even get past my warmup.

I'm really tried today (overly tired) and this is with 10 hours of sleep. I didn't feel rested when I woke today, but I haven't felt that way in months.

I'm trying very hard to stick on my strict diet again. I want to keep sugar to a minimum, but it sucks because that's the only thing that gives me alittle boost. Once the crash hits though... I feel worse :(
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...