I was awakened from sleep at 1:30 am approximately ten years ago with pleurisy pains in my right lung in line with my breast. The pain was so severe that I thought my lung had collapsed. I took two tylenol and was unable to go back to sleep for at least an hour until the pain had eased. I could not sleep on my right side because the pain was so severe. I went to the Dr. The next day and after a chest x-ray, he said I had an inflammation of the cartilage that surrounds the lungs caused from coughing. The strange thing was; I had not been coughing. I did develop a cough later in the day, but the pain finally went away. It has recurred off and on for ten years, now--always in the same spot. It usually recurrs after I have run fever for a couple of days, apparently from a sinus infection because I can feel the drainage. The pain is so severe whenever it first starts that I feel I may pass out; tylenol will ease the pain, and it has been going away; I beat it to the Dr. And get antibiotics for bronchitis because that's always what I end up having. This time the pleurisy has lasted for two solid weeks; I finally have the Dr.'s attention and have asked why I would keep having these recurring episodes with this time lasting for two weeks. It has always reocurred in the same spot. The pain is very excruciating for the first 30 minutes (long enough for the tylenol to take effect).
Is this normal for pleurisy and do I need to be worried about another underlying cause?
My Dr. Did authorize a mammogram, but I haven't gotten the results, yet, as it has only been three days ago. I am 49 years old and a female.
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Must Read
Pleurisy can be a painful irritation of the tissue that surrounds the lungs. Basic info on types of pleurisy, anatomy of the lungs, and medical definitions here...
Learn which medical conditions can cause pleurisy and other pleura disorders here. Plus, check out if you are at risk of pleurisy in the risk factors section....
Pleurisy can manifest as a sharp stabbing chest pain when you inhale, cough or sneeze. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of pleura disorders here....