I had to work on my daughters sweet 16th birthday party, till late at night. She planned the whole thing...And it's so sad cause she actually thought it was gonna fly. But the whole thing went bad...Everyone came but they just kind of hung around doing their own thing. Then they were supposed to be driven to playdium....But my ex wouldn't do it....He actually took off and didn't come back till hours later...Left her crying outside in the cold. She didn't get any surprises, knew exactly what she was going to get...Even her beau didn't come thru....Gave her a video game...Nothing touching or romantic......
Anyway she came to my room, laid in bed with me and cried........I know not the end of the world......But I feel terrible......

....My question and dilemma...It's my last day off for the week and it's a sunday, what unique or outstanding thing could I do to make this time more of a happy memory? What would you do? :(
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 10th, 2006
Oh man, I wish I found this post earlier. I truly feel for you and your daughter, not from experience, but just from being able to envision the entirety of events unfold.

I have a 3 year old daughter myself, and could just imagine what I would feel like in your shoes. The sweet 16 is supposed to (for reaosns unknown to us males lol) be one of the greatest birthdays ever for a young girl.

Remember though...No day is too late. Just because you didn't come up with a miraculous and extravagant thing to do with her on her actual b-day, schedule a time for her to just hang out with you...Take a couple of hours one night whenever you got the time and just give her a belated experience.

Put a few *cough* hundred *cough* lol away, or even like 40-50 bucks, and take her out. Go out to dinner, take her to an arcade, and actually *play* games with her, whether you suck or not. In truth, the worse you are, the more you'll both laugh, the better the evening.

End out with ice cream, just the two of you at a table and *talk* to her. About whatever that comes to mind, boys to cars, school to parties. It won't erase the memory of a ruined 16, but you'll give her a good memory to even the balance.

Best to both of you, and happy belated to your daughter for me.
|

replied April 10th, 2006
Experienced User
Thanks songwriter, sweet of you to respond.....Turns out my little babe has a strong backbone and bounced back pretty good. We spent the day together.....Spent more than *cough* 100....Actually *choke* 700 bucks....Ouch! Dnr!(do not resuscitate)......Digital camera, case, card etc.
I was planning on getting it anyway....But I think the salesman had to pry the c.C. Out of my hand.
All the best your daughter....Hopefully you will do a better job with the birthdays ....Oh yeah they consider the 13th important too...."now i'm a teen!" :)
|

replied April 10th, 2006
I'm really glad to hear things got better. And thanks for the best wishes. I'm still dreading her growing up and meeting boys...*eerie silence* for now, i'm glad that she's daddy's little girl and still comes to hug me when she scrapes her knees.
I know she'll get out of it eventually, and i'll be dealing with probs much like yours, but for now, i'm enjoying the moment.
|
Quick Reply