I believe your on the right track....It's too bad most people put all their faith in doctors, who have only been trained in giving medicine and know very little about other more healthier methods. Have you also heard of dmg?It's used quite successful with patients that have a combo of autism and seizures....And since it's all natural it's quite safe to take. :)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 9th, 2006
Thanks spirit. For some, meds just don't work. Those are the folks that really need this info.

I have not heard about dmg. Is that an acronym? What does it stand for? I'd like to do some digging on it.
|

replied April 9th, 2006
Experienced User
Dmg -dimethylglycine
i use it for my boy as an immune booster, but has been reported to help reduce seizures; increase speech in autistic individuals; and even help performance levels of athletes. Although you can take it on it's own, I combine it with b-12 and folinic acid to increase it's power.
It's been around quite awhile, but little known outside the autism and athlete world.
Good luck on your search....Don't want to say too much, otherwise i'll sound like i'm trying to sell it......I prefer people research it themselves and make up their own minds. :)
|

replied April 12th, 2006
Experienced User
There's alot of contradictory evidence out there....And if all the great thinkers of our time stopped when one person or one body/organization(esp. Drug companies) said it's not possible or that will never work..Than all the inventions, medicines and not to mention alternative practices would not exist.
I'm not trying to convince you...However my son is autistic(no seizures) and through my research for methods that would help him, i've come across many testimonials stating the benefits of dmg. It probably came about like many great finds......Accidentally. Bernard rimland is the founder of the autism society in the states....Initially he scoffed at the idea of high doses of vitamins helping autistic children. Being trained in medicine, often m.D.S see other methods as usually harmless and useless. But continually parents of autistic children would report that it helped their children immensely. Finally he conceded and did many studies on the benefits of higher dose vitamins with his autistic patients....In particular, he found that b6 and magnesium, and later on dmg were very helpful. He noted that dmg brought about increased eye contact(a big prob with autistics), increase awareness and the added benefit of increased speech. I believe it was the parents of autistic children that reported to him and his org that they noted that their children's seizures were lessening or stopping altogether.
The problem with proof, is that, you have to prove it 110% before the medical communitee believes it.
Dmg is perfectly harmless, and can be found in very trace amounts in some foods like brown rice and lentils. I've been giving it to my boy for over 11 years, and yes there have been notably improvements.
Check out the autism society in the states website. Delve into their archives and look up the medical literature. And for goodness sake, don't stop cause of one negative setback.....If you look hard enough, you can find something negative about anything.
I realize i'm talking autism and your issues are epilepsy.....But I believe there's many crossovers of conditions and we can all learn from/help each other. :)
|

replied April 13th, 2006
Ok. Thanks for the feedback. I may have to make another chart for treatment options that have less scientific backing and more anecdotal reports.
|
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....