Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Community Chat Forum

New Legislation Detrimental to Pregnant Women

A new bill about to be voted on in the senate called himma (the health insurance marketplace modernization and affordability act) will override state guidelines that make insurance companies provide coverage for pre-natal care, maternity care, etc.

Call your senators people or this will soon be a reality and you may find yourself paying out of pocket thousands to have a baby.

What can we do to prevent this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 5th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Well you could move to the uk where its free!! Or australia?
Haha sorry couldnt stop myself, I know im lucky to live here though... Go .T.O.N.Y. B.L.A.I.R woot !
|

replied April 5th, 2006
L.O.L!

Go .U.K!

No doubt we'll soon be following suit tho! :roll:

xx
|

replied April 5th, 2006
Experienced User
allie_18 wrote:
well you could move to the uk where its free!! Or australia?
Haha sorry couldnt stop myself, I know im lucky to live here though... Go .T.O.N.Y. B.L.A.I.R woot !

lol yayyyy for nhs :d
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2006
Community Volunteer
It's free in canada too!!
|

replied April 6th, 2006
I have some issues with the uk system too though b/c of that whole waiting list thing. My boyfriend's uncle had cancer and I think he would have gone into remission in the us, but in the uk for every procedure he would have to put his name on a list and wait and wait for care. Very innefficient.

But as for the enzi bill, the most frightening aspect for me is that it doesn't make it mandatory that insurance covers pre-cancer screeings. I have cancer in my family and, therefore, need to get screened.

Also, don't mess with maternity or pre-natal coverage people. As we all know..It is beyond needed.
|

replied April 6th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
I don't know how they can do that for real. I went into the hospital for three weeks and my bills were like 900,000.00 for me alone and for my baby it was like 250,000.00 and that was only for three days. I don't see that many people having babies after that. Good greif.
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Healthe, you are soooo right, they should pay for pre-screening of anything, after all, it is cheaper to pay for the pre-sceening of it then to pay ffor the disease. It sounds like politics to me, we are humans, not just a number and we have wrights, especially if we have worked for them.
Some of our hospitals here look like a welfare motel, regular people cannot afford toget sick anddd go to the hosptal unless they have oodles of insurance ase are too busy paying for welfare and the illegals coming in speaking no english. Something must be done! When I had a stroke, I wouldnot go. I knew what was going on and what I had to do so ijust went to the dr the next day and told him, I am just glad that I have a medical back ground. To see all of these drugies running up to get their drug fix because it is free is what pisses me off! But thank you for allowing me to vent. I do realize thei are some people that need some assistance but some of these people take advantage of the situation.
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Sandralynn-wow how can they do that? I mean knowing that youre pregnant and then just cut off your prenatal care in april? That seems insane to me. Is there a way to like reapply or extend it?
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Ugh well I would try to talk to (im assuming you went to some sort of family care center to apply for medicaid) a health benefits person that you prob originally talked to when you started this process...Maybe they can arrange something. I cant imagine being pregnant and not having any sort if insurance.
Im worried about my baby insurance though...Right now im covered by my parents until im 23, but the baby wont be so I had to apply for kidcare (program started by blagoyavich) and still havent heard anything-its been a month...
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2006
Community Volunteer
It's ridiculous. We have medicare cards here in quebec that are issued at birth and you show them to the doc when you go and they scan it and that's it!
|

replied April 7th, 2006
Whoa! 90 days you have to wait and you're pregnant? I am so sad for you. You are all right. This system is simply a mess and now this bill (s.1955) will make it even messier, taking away even more coverage and leaving many more in the situation that sandralynn and her husband find themselves now.

I mean, come on...Who has that type of money to spend out of pocket? One major health problem or accident could cause financial ruin.

You all should really shoot emails or phone calls to you representatives. Don't underestimate the power of your voices.

Sandra-you may want to see if your representative can secure you some short term coverage also.
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
healthe wrote:
whoa! 90 days you have to wait and you're pregnant? I am so sad for you. You are all right. This system is simply a mess and now this bill (s.1955) will make it even messier, taking away even more coverage and leaving many more in the situation that sandralynn and her husband find themselves now.

I mean, come on...Who has that type of money to spend out of pocket? One major health problem or accident could cause financial ruin.

You all should really shoot emails or phone calls to you representatives. Don't underestimate the power of your voices.

Sandra-you may want to see if your representative can secure you some short term coverage also.

to be honest they are screwing themselves up ppl will start having less and less children (the states are extremly hard on immigration) the population will die and the economy will slowly perish as it has been already. Honestly all of you just move here to canada you pay more taxes but you get free healthcare lol!

I dont think it is fair but life never is but like I said they are putting themsleves in a really bad sitiuation and are walking there own graves not thinking of the children of the future!
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...