Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Orthopedics - Ulnar Shortening

I'm due to have ulnar shortening in my wrist in the next few months. I originally hurt myself last june, and have gone through physio (two 3-4 month periods), cortisone shots, an mri, and recently met with a wrist trauma guy who is a high-up at mcgill university’s orthopedic school. He said that, when I broke my wrist when I was a kid, I broke it where the tfcc attaches to the radius and the ulna.

Normally, when your wrist is fine, your tfcc acts as a little trampoline to cushion your bones. However, because of where my break is (which is partially unhealed), every time I move my wrist my tfcc pulls on some membrane piece, and causes pain. To fix this, they would normally just put a screw through my old fracture, and that would be the end of it. However, my ulna is too long, so they are going to shorten it 3-4mm.

Has anyone ever had, or known someone who had ulnar shortening surgery? I believe its called ulnar osteotomy in the medical world. I play a lot of squash, so i'm worried that I won’t be able to play any longer, as well as have a gimpy wrist for the rest of my life. However, i'm still rather young (22), and figure I can heal rather well.
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....