Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

Pregnancy At 40? Normal, Or Dangerous?

Hi all. First time posting on these forums, just completed registering.
I'm not a female, but my question is not something i'm yet comfortable with approaching my other female friends, so this forum is a great resource for me.

Is it normal for a woman to get pregnant at the age of 40? The woman I am with is about 10 years older then me, and while i'm crazy about her....I do wonder if by the time i'm ready for marriage, if she'll be healthy enough to even consider trying to get pregnant.

Keep in mind, i'm not a female, so this question might be ridiculous to some, but i'm just trying to get answers. My lady is in general good health, no fatal diseases or bad health conditions to worry about....Just her age.

I don't know if it's too dangerous for a woman to try to get pregnant when she's 40......I'm not sure of the risks involved.....If miscarriages are very common at that age, or if it's dangerous to the mothers health, or both....Scary when I think about it.

We're certainly not looking at having kids anytime soon, I need to finish up college (atleast another 3 years), and thats where the problem is for me....By the time I graduate, i'm about 27, and she'll be around the age of 36.

So really....Around the age of 37-40....Is it normal for women to get pregnant around this age?

Thank you all for the responses, I appriciate any help you can offer.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Malory
|

User Profile
replied April 2nd, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Well I don't know much about it, but I know a lot of older women that have gotten pregnant late in life and their children are just fine. Of course there could be health risks, along with any other pregnancy but as far as i'm concerned she should be fine. Maybe if you don't get the responce you wanted with this thread you could ask it as a doctors question, good luck :)
|

replied April 2nd, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Getting pregnant at 40 is risky, but any pregnancy is risky.

You better start humpin though and quit typing online because menopause is gonna hit soon.

Don't want that to happen!!
|

replied April 2nd, 2006
Menopause happens around 40....Or 50?
|

replied April 2nd, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
It varies on women.

But seriously, if you're going to have children with this woman, start trying now as it could take a while for her to get pregnant, and her being older could affect her getting pregnant sooner aswell.
|

replied April 2nd, 2006
Experienced User
It depends on the woman. A 40-year-old woman who is healthy and in good physical condition will probably have a healthier pregnancy than a 25-year-old who smokes and drinks every day while spending all day in front of the tv.

A 40-year-old woman may have more trouble conceiving in the first place, though. Although you hear stories about women close to 50 who stop using birth control because they thought they weren't able to have kids anymore and then suddenly they've find they've fallen pregnant. O they think they are going through menopause because they are moody, tired, having hot flashes, etc., and it turns out they are having those symptoms because they are pregnant.

My mother conceived me when she was 38 years old, while she was using birth control. I wasn't planned at all.

40 is extremely young for a woman to be going through menopause. If a woman is having menopausal symptoms at 40, she needs to see a doctor because it means there is something wrong with her hormones.

I am 40 and trying to conceive (i got married less than a year ago.) my doctor said he didn't foresee any problems.

Another thing you might want to prepare for is that older women are more likely to have twins.
|

User Profile
replied April 2nd, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
I agree with what the other ladies are telling u. It is risky to be pregnant over 40, but all pregnancies have their risks. I also agree that since it could take a while, maybe start soon. So u have a better shot at having kids. My bf's mom got pregnant with him when she was 43 and even though he was full term, I think born a week or two before his due date, he was only 3lbs something... And I know that can have something to do with the woman's age... So yeah, to make a long story short, start trying soon so that u can increase ur chances. Good luck!
|

replied April 2nd, 2006
Thank you all for the responses, it's very encouraging to hear.

As much as i'd like to try now, that isn't an option. We're not even at the point of marriage yet, and I still want to complete college before even considering it.

While having a child might be a joy, struggling just to raise it sure won't be. I'd atleast to finacially secure a job to support both my lady and a possible child.

And thats why I asked about menopause....At first I thought 40 was average, but apparently I was way off.....For general healthy women. I know....There's exceptions to everything. I'm not referring to the exceptions, like the druken alcoholic who smokes 10 packs a day. My lady doesn't do any of that.

Wow....Twins. I'd be happy with just 1....But twins.....Maybe I would start believing in miracles if that happened.

Thanks again for the advice, I do appriciate it.
|

replied April 2nd, 2006
Experienced User
Aww you sound like a sweet man. Good luck with your "lady" and eventual family. :)

i understand not wanting to start a family now, but I wouldn't wait until she was forty, either, especially if this will be her first child. Go ahead and start trying just as soon as you are able to. If she's 36-38, she shouldn't have a problem (unless, of course, she or you are pre-disposed to being infertile).
|

replied April 2nd, 2006
Experienced User
Sorry if I am being a bit nosy, but have you and she discussed the possibility of having children?

If she doesn't have children already, it could be because she doesn't want to have any.

If she already has children from a previous relationship, she may not want to have anymore.
|

replied April 2nd, 2006
A lady I work with, her sister had her first baby at 40 and her second at 42. She did have a miscariage in between them, but the two she has are perfectly healthy. There are more risks with pregnancy the older you get especially with down syndrome but because of her age, the doctors will probably check on her more often. Someone in their twenties (low risk) may only have a few blood tests and maybe 1 or 2 ultrasounds where as a woman in her 40ies will probably have an amnio as well as frequent ultrasounds/blood tests...If she's had kids in a previous relationship that improves her changes of having a healthy baby at 40.
|

User Profile
replied April 2nd, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Anyone is at risk for miscarriage, 40 is risky but it is alos risky under 18 I had a normal pregnancy and a high risk one but two healthy children just be positive and im glad for you and your partner that you are waiting till marriage!
|

replied April 2nd, 2006
Experienced User
Hey. If this is her first child (and i'm assuming it is), it can take longer to conceive and there are of course, more risks after a woman turns 35. As for having twins, I don't think it has much to do with age - it has to do with family history of twins and, in the case of older women, the use of in vitro fertilization. Many "older" women who have trouble conceiving naturally use in vitro, and two fertilized eggs are generally inserted so that there's a better chance of one implanting in the uterus. A lot of times, both survive and voila - twins. Good luck with everything.

Ps - my mom had my youngest sister at 43, almost 44. She was full-term and 7 pounds, 13 oz. However, she'd had 6 kids previously!
|
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....