Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Is it Safe to Donate Sperm if I am HIV+?

User Profile
I am a 37 y/o hiv(+) male. I have friends ( a lesbian couple) who have asked me to donate sperm so that they can have a child. I am honored, as I am the only person they've considered. They state that I have all the qualities that they are looking for in a man to inseminate the one to be impregnated. They don't know of my hiv status.
I would love to fulfill their request but I don't want to endanger a friend's life either. To my knowledge, they are both hiv(-). I really want to tell them that I won't do it and make up some reason as why I will not. I would also love to have a child of my own in this world. What should I do? Are there any chances of her not being infected? If so, how likely that she would not and how likely that she would become infected? I will not do this if she may be at serious risk. Please help!

Confused in decatur, ga.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 11th, 2006
General Q&A Answer A726
HIV is present in sperm in large quantities. There is great risk of infecting your lesbian friend with HIV should you donate sperm for insemination . I don’t recommend you become a sperm donor to anyone. If your friends are real friends to you they will accept the truth and you as HIV+!
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.