Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

Life Expectancy Without Treatment

Must Read
Colorectal cancer is serious and life-threatening. This section outline types of colorectal cancers, causes and risk factors for development. Get the facts here...
Although most colon cancers begin slowly, there are some people who are more at risk of developing colorectal cancer than others. But who? And why?...
As symptoms of colorectal cancer appear, they typically vary upon location and size. Learn to identify signs and symptoms early. Know when to seek help....
After developing symptoms and if diagnosed with colon cancer, what is the average life expectancy if absolutely no treatment is done? No surgery, no chemo, etc. Most colon cancer sites mention life expectancy with treatment, based on what stage it is, but none mention what to expect with no treatment. Is it a matter of months, years?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ConnieT
|

replied March 31st, 2006
Life Expentancy W/o Treatment
Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't answer my question. Your advice means little. I don't have cancer, nor does anyone I know. In the past I have known a couple folks who went through months of painful, uncomfortable treatments for various cancers, only to die. This includes my sister-in-law's elderly father who died of colon cancer. That's why i'm wondering how long these folks may have lived w/o treatment.
|

replied August 2nd, 2007
Re: Life Expentancy W/o Treatment
lps3 wrote:
Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't answer my question. Your advice means little. I don't have cancer, nor does anyone I know. In the past I have known a couple folks who went through months of painful, uncomfortable treatments for various cancers, only to die. This includes my sister-in-law's elderly father who died of colon cancer. That's why i'm wondering how long these folks may have lived w/o treatment.
In the past I have known a couple folks who went through months of painful, uncomfortable treatments for various cancers, only to die. This includes my sister-in-law's elderly father who died of colon cancer. That's why i'm wondering how long these folks may have lived w/o treatment.

I do not have an answer for you either, but sure wish I did. I cannot find an answer to your question anywhere on the web, and surely no doctor is going to tell you... only to get treatment. I understand your question fully, as I have a friend right now that is refusing any treatment whatsoever and it would be nice to know what to expect.

I also understand completely the people that refuse treatment. Fully and completely. If the cancer is not diagnosed quickly, they go through numberous treatments, including chemo... which in the end is a terrible end. I myself would opt out of treatment as well, and find out what hospice is all about, or go about it on my own. I would never put my friends or family through what I have gone through, having my mother pass away from Lymphoma.

Good luck to you, always!

Sorry I could not be of help to you...
|

User Profile
replied September 12th, 2007
Supporter
Hi
I just lost my father last year to colon cancer....three years before that he'd had prostate cancer. His physican told him if he had not gone for treatments, he would only have had several months, compared to the couple of years he did survive. The treatments played hell on him, his physical appearance and his life in general, but without those treatments he would have also had a slow and miserable death. I do beleive he opted for medical treatment to prolong life.......had it been me, knowing what the treatments were and the odds I was going to die anyway, I'd opt for the fastest route possible. I would hope Dr. K would be near to help me, because I would never want to go though the years of misery my father went through just to stay alive a little longer. I owuld not want ot be a burden on anyone and my quality of life would have to come first. If I knew there was a chance on beating hte cancer, then and only then would i go for the treatments.....as I did with melanoma! Cool
|

replied April 1st, 2009
Re: Life Expentancy W/o Treatment
The answer to your question. There is no complete cure, for any cancers, after you get
cancer. Even skin cancer, However, If you are
looking for a cure, then don't do things to
your body, to get it in the fist place. Don't
smoke, Don't drink alcohol. Don't abuse drugs,
Don't over eat, Don't eat red meats raw,or burned on a grill.
Don,t Heat with coal and ect., however Some people have it,
built into their genes. Every cancer is treated differently. I am sorry.
I don't feel I am a burden to nobody. I am a Grandmother, I helped to care
for my grandparents and my Mother and Father in-laws until they died,
They were not a burden to me. I raised my Two children, They are in their 30's.
Now I am helping to raise the grand-kids. So Life is a circle of love, challenges,
ups and downs.Life is birth, living, and death. The dying part is easy,
what is hard is the living. Cancer treatments with surgery puts us in,
remission. I am not ready to give up without a fight. Then I would feel
I would be letting, those around me down. They still need me
If God was to take me while I am asleep, then job well done.
The Doctors do as much as they,can to save every persons life that they can,
However it is a 2-way street. It is hard to, cast a life line to a drowning person,
When the drowning person refuses to grab the rope.
Cancer treatments does help to save and prolong lives, but not others.
It depends, if it was caught in time. And what type of cancer it is.
My prayers are with you. I hope this answers your question.
I am a cancer survivor.
|
Users who thank ELS1 for this post: Fairy Godmother 

User Profile
replied April 1st, 2009
Supporter
ELS1, Welcome to eHealth. Thank you so very much for your input. I am certain this can help a lot of people out there wondering the same. I've been thrown the line twice (melanoma in 2000) (breast cancer last Arpil-mastectomy), and I grabbed on both times! I also believe its staying postive and not allowing negative energy to take control over you. You have to have that will to live attitude and be willing to fight the fight....and you did it as well! So you know what I am talking about. Glad to have you onboard! FGM
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied October 5th, 2011
How long?
I have a freind with Colon Cancer. She did have surgery a remove the tumor but the doctors said it was in her lymphoses and is in stage 3 cancer. She is not doing treatment only herbal and spiritual healings. I guess the positive energy and not allowiing negative energy in will help. Its just hard to think you are going to lose something so beautiful in your life....
I would like to know how long she has and what to expect.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied January 12th, 2012
I have blood in my stool about once or twice a month and do not want to have colonoscopy and would like to try the natural route in case it is cancer. Please advise what you recommend - ty
|

replied January 30th, 2012
Get the colonoscopy. Early detection is best! And the colonoscopy is a piece of cake. Really. Maybe your blood is nothing but hemmeroids. You could find this out and be out of worry. Or if it is something, you would catch it early. From everything I've read, sometimes you need medical intervention to rid the body of its tumor burden. I'm not totally convinced either way yet. Anyway, read, "fighting Cancer with Nutrition". It should help you.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied January 17th, 2012
Please send me the report you've written or advise how I can download it from the group you've created on this topic.
|

replied January 30th, 2012
Yes, please send me the report!
|

replied January 31st, 2012
if you get it let me know how ty
|

replied March 20th, 2012
6 month turnaround
yes what is the group called?
|

replied April 5th, 2012
alternate therapy for colon cancer
my brother has the same condition what r the alternate therapy u have done he is alredy done with chemo and rediation if u could help me out then it will be great help to me. you can send me the details
|

replied July 14th, 2012
My mom just found out she has a mass on her colon. She is 80. Could you let me know what you did? I know she doesn't want chemo or radiation. Thanks
|

replied September 3rd, 2015
Your question Connie would help me also.
My mum is a sickly 89 year old. She wants to die, if we kept our dogs this sick we would be put in prison! She has bowel cancer and Dr's will not do any treatments because she has a bad heart and would not survive the operation or chemo, etc. Mum walked out on me when I was 8 years old. We are trying to mend bridges and I don't know how long we have to mend many other bridges we have, which is many. I need a guess even, as I know it can't be told exactly. She lives 3 hours away, I am on Disability Pension for my bowel cancer when I was 30 years old. I don't have a lot of money (most pensioners don't), I want to know - do I go out there and stay??? Do I just go out occasionally???????????? I need help..Please somebody, help me.
|

replied October 22nd, 2015
oh dearest Connie, I feel for you. I am 82 and wants to die too, wanted to fix bridges with my son and I may not be able to. Do it in your own heart, your own intention, to mend all the bridges, IN YOUR OWN HEART, and your wish/desire that she do it to, but let it be her choice ? Do it for you,honey
write on a paper: do I go and stay, and on another, do I go occasionally: If you pray, do so, or stay quiet and ask help from Higher, wait maybe 10m, or sleep over the papers, and then pick one. You do not have to act upon THAT one, just feel how you feel about it, how your heart respond to that possible choice, so you may follow your own heart ?
when I do that, I ask that I will receive the very best answer, both for me AND the other person. Love, nicole
|

replied May 30th, 2018
Hi, I am sorry to hear about your mom. I currently have colon cancer with a mass toward the end of the colon. The surgeon will want to do a colostomy or ileostomy to be sure waste can pass through. This means they would take a portion of the intestine and bring it through the skin, and then a bag would be pasted around the piece of intestine for waste to go into. This does not sound very fun. That's why I did some research and found something called a "stent." look into this, it also keeps the passageway open without major surgery. I wish the best for you mom.
|

replied May 30th, 2018
make sure she asks about a "stent" instead of a colostomy or ileostomy.
|

replied August 8th, 2012
Cancer
I'd like to read it pls
|

replied August 29th, 2012
Good day, can i also hve the report that you made for my father? Thank you so much
|

replied January 28th, 2013
Hello Sylz!... May I have a copy of the report you've written on your journey back to health? My betterhalf has colon cancer stage 3C and is opting not to go for chemo; yet has no idea how to pursue healing and increase his life span. Your journal will be a very helpful guide. Please help. Thank you so much!!
|

replied May 13th, 2013
Can you please forward me this report for a friend of mine who after going through surgery and two sets of chemo has now moved to a hospice as there is nothing they can do for her.

Many thanks
|

replied November 9th, 2013
Hi

Can you point me to your report?

thx
|

replied October 22nd, 2015
can you point me too ? thank you
|

replied March 3rd, 2014
Sylz, I would very much appreciate receiving info on the report you wrote on natural route. Also would love to join the group you created if you could tell me how to find the group.
Thank you in advance.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied March 15th, 2012
I will like to know how long a person have to live with stage 2 colon cancer. My boyfriend just find out he have stage 2 colon cancer, and he dont have the money or the insurance to pay for chemo.I How long will he have to live? Someone please tell me.
|

replied July 10th, 2012
Colon Cancer Alternative Treatment
Hi,

Can you also please share the report of your journey back to good health to this email?
My mom who is 60 years old has stage 1 colon cancer and is refusing medical treatment...

Thank you.
|

replied October 31st, 2012
Bowel cancer
You must have treatment for all colon cancers, especially lvl 1 that's just a snip. I have/had type 3/N2 which means in the wall 4 or more noids involved. I have had surgery, tumour and 18 noids removed 4 were infected with C so any touching were removed also but all 14 found clean. I now will have chemo for 6 months just in case I'm told, then I can have my ileostomy reversed and hopefully back to some normal life. Steve
|

replied January 18th, 2013
I'd like to read it...

My 86 yr old Grandma was hospitalized yesterday. We found out she had colon cancer about 5 mo ago, but she didn't want to be in pain from treatment... She beat Breast Cancer about 8 years ago.. Today the scans show stage 4... And she's going to total care...
|

replied May 21st, 2013
bowel cancer
Last November I was diagnosed with rectal cancer, stage 111 which means the cancer has gone through the rectum wall and into the lymph nodes
I am 83, male and had one week (full dose)of radiotherapy which shook me up and gave me quite painful bowel problems for one month
I should have had an operation March 13th 2013 to remove the cancer with chemotherapy to follow but have postponed it with the surgeons permission as he will monitor the situation.
I feel well and, enjoying life and am considering to have nothing done and quietly expire.
I hope the end will not be to painful.
Am still researching so I can make a final decision.
|

replied September 13th, 2013
How long is too long
I too would like to know, 'how long'.

I don't have colon C yet but am looking forward to it, I am 53, unemployed, and pretty much tired of such a BS existence. I would gladly trade my tired pointless healthy life to a child who wants to live. For me, I am cursed, life sucks.

I'm due for a colonoscopy, last one 7 yrs ago, with polyps. Would gratefully welcome cancer with a short, albeit, painful result?

So my question, if I successfully acquire colon cancer . . .how much longer? Do I have to deal with this life I hate?
|

replied September 21st, 2013
Please CHEER up....unemployment is not permanent! It can't be that terrible can it? You don't want to die of cancer. How about finding something to live for instead? Your situation is temporary you realize this right? Debbie
|

replied March 3rd, 2014
doug_actuarialsciencesuck
So sorry to hear that you feel that way about your life. Nothing but death is permanent, you could get a great job tomorrow and start feeling great about life. I wish that for you with all my heart. PLEASE PLEASE don't wish for cancer..... Look around you and see how many people are fighting to survive this dreadful disease, thank God when you go for your colonoscopy that you will be healthy....
|

replied March 14th, 2014
colon cancer 3C survival with no treatment after surgery
At age 59, I was diagnosed with stage 3B/3C colon cancer, had a right colectomy, and refused all further treatment. I am a retired physician, and I researched all forms of therapy on my own, with no help from the medical profession. once I refused chemo, no one wanted to follow me. I was told my 5 yr survival was 40% or less, especially in view of my tumor cells being highly aggressive. It has been 6 years now, and I feel totally healthy and have had 6 great years. I have been unable to find any statistics on nontreatment survival, and I have been getting the sense that a large number of medical people are choosing to do what i did. I was helped greatly by the book, Cancer outside the box. I am happy to help anyone who would like to know about my experience.
|
Users who thank dreurydice for this post: sis3 

replied March 21st, 2014
Thank you for your information. My dad is 74 years old and he just did a breast cancer surgery and recovered (August 2013). Now he got a colon cancer stage 3. His health has been bad since he is a young man. His doctor said that he should not do any surgery. I am not sure what can we do at this moment. Any suggestion will be really appreciated.
|

replied May 12th, 2014
My brother is 64 diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer on March 22 he had surgery. The doctor remove 12" of his intestine and 38 lymph nodes, 8 were positive. He never had any symptoms or pain. Your case seems to be very similar. He's in a stage where he's so confused and not sure what to do, should he go for treatment or not. I personally don't want him to do Chemo. You are right there is no any research studies or statistics on non-treatment survivals. I'd love to hear from you and if you have any advise.
|

replied May 12th, 2014
Re: colon cancer 3C survival with no treatment after surgery
dreurydice wrote:
At age 59, I was diagnosed with stage 3B/3C colon cancer, had a right colectomy, and refused all further treatment. I am a retired physician, and I researched all forms of therapy on my own, with no help from the medical profession. once I refused chemo, no one wanted to follow me. I was told my 5 yr survival was 40% or less, especially in view of my tumor cells being highly aggressive. It has been 6 years now, and I feel totally healthy and have had 6 great years. I have been unable to find any statistics on nontreatment survival, and I have been getting the sense that a large number of medical people are choosing to do what i did. I was helped greatly by the book, Cancer outside the box. I am happy to help anyone who would like to know about my experience.

My brother is 64 diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer on March 22 he had surgery. The doctor remove 12" of his intestine and 38 lymph nodes, 8 were positive. He never had any symptoms or pain. Your case seems to be very similar. He's in a stage where he's so confused and not sure what to do, should he go for treatment or not. I personally don't want him to do Chemo. You are right there is no any research studies or statistics on non-treatment survivals. I'd love to hear from you and if you have any advise.

Read more: Life Expectancy Without Treatment - Colon Cancer Forum - eHealthForum http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic59232. html#ixzz31XCDO2gx
Follow us: @ehealthforums on Twitter
|

replied October 28th, 2015
Colon cancer, if left untreated, kills you within 8 months. It actually depends on the person who has the colon cancer, his diet, his lifestyle, all play their role in slowing down or increasing the time of his life.
|

replied December 19th, 2016
Those of u who say you don't want a colonoscopy sound to me like you are uneducated on the subject. A colonoscopy prevents cancer because the dr removes polyps that can turn into cancer. It is a painless procedure you are under anasthesia and don't remember it either. If u have blood in stool it could be polyps or early cancer that can be removed. Better to be safe than sorry.
|