Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Are Headaches and Symptoms Attributed to Sinusitis? Or Some

User Profile
For about a year and a half I have suffered regularly with symptoms attributed to sinusitis. I was continually treated with anbiotics with each bout- and each time they seemed to work a little less. I finally been referred to a consultant who at the first examination stated that as i have not had any large amount of discharge and I also have a couple symptons not consitant with sinusitis he doesn't think that's what it is. He also looked up my nose with a camera and said there was no evidence at that time of sinusitis- but I have been taking nasal steriod drops for several months and until this week they seemed to be working.
The symptons I have had- although not always all at once are- severe headaches centring behind my eyes, low forehead and around my nose- this is hugely worse when I lean forward or if i lay on my back. It has been so bad at times I couldn't lay down at all and had to sleep sitting up for days on end. I can also get a stuffy runny nose. The pain in my eyes is worse if I have to keep changing focus such as reading or watching TV- but my glasses prescription is up to date. The doctor stated that the intense pain I have had and also the fact that my eyes become sensitive to light does not add up. This is contrary to what all the other doctors have told me? Please could I have your opinion. The worst thing is is that I am now waiting for a CT scan which is going to take weeks and the medication I have been taking for months seems to have stopped working- Am i suppose to just keep taking painkillers forever?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 11th, 2006
Ear, Nose & Throat Disorders Answer A718
Sinusitis and short sightedness have one symptom in common : headaches. Thus, your headache can be caused by both conditions. It sounds as if you probably suffer from chronic sinusitis. Chronic inflammations always maintain some level of inflammation. Sometimes the inflammation is worsened, symptoms are more expressed, and signs of inflammation are more evident. Reasons for chronic sinusitis can include allergies, infections in the nose, or both. Deviation of the nasal septum makes mucous drainage difficult AND makes the sinuses vulnerable to infections. That’s why I recommend you to take a facial X-ray. If there is a deviation present in the nasal septum, surgical treatment is needed. Antibiotics, corticosteroids, local decongestives, mucus-dilutors, and local infra-red irradiation are recommended for treatment of chronic sinusitis. Regarding your eyes: you can check eye pressure, short-sightedness, and possible astigmatism.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.