I have been given a prescription for tritace 5mg. Daily (warfrin). I have read the leaflet with the medication and this says the normal dosage (commencement) is 1.25mgs daily. I have asked my gp why my dosage is 4 times that recommended by the manufacturer but he will not answer me. Neither will he tell what the probable consequences of this 400% increase in dosage are likely to be. Is this dosage of warfrin dangerous over a period of months? Am I right to refuse to take this medication.?
I have never had a heart attack, stroke, diabetes.Liver complaint of kidney problems. This morning I have been putting new ridge tiles on my house roof, I do lots of heavy gardening, digging, moving flag-stones, house-painting, decorating, garden fencing etc. My normal/regular bp is 135/75 or thereabouts
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 20th, 2018
Welcome to e health forum.

The goal of anticoagulant therapy with warfarin is to administer the lowest effective dose of the drug to maintain the target international normalized ratio (INR).

Warfarin, a vitamin K antagonist, is an oral anticoagulant indicated for the prevention and treatment of venous thrombosis and its extension and the prevention and treatment of the thromboembolic complications associated with atrial fibrillation. Warfarin has also been used to prevent recurrent transient ischemic attacks and to reduce the risk of recurrent myocardial infarction.

The safety and efficacy of warfarin therapy are dependent on maintaining the INR within the target range for the indication. When a patient is started on an oral anticoagulant, INR monitoring should be performed daily until the INR is within the therapeutic range for at least 2 consecutive days.

Unexpected fluctuations in the INR in an otherwise stable patient could be due to a change in diet, poor compliance, undisclosed drug use, alcohol consumption, or self-medication.

In your case, the dose would be determined by your doctor and, if the INR target is acceptable, then you need not worry about the dose.

If you have doubts, you should seek a second opinion.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.