Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Can Bell's Palsy due to birth trauma show up 6 weeks after d

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
User Profile
My 2nd son was born at 41.1 weeks on January 30 weighing 8 lbs 11 oz and 21 1/2 inches long. It was a pretty standard delivery. I was scheduled for induction but started having contractions on the way to the hospital that morning. My labor went pretty quickly. I was admitted at 5:30 am and delivered at 2:43 pm. The only "complications" of the delivery (if you call it that) is that I have a 'high posterior cervix' and the docs had difficulty when trying to check me for dilation and effacement and couldn't artifically break my bag of waters. I also had a previous tailbone injury delivering my first child (who weighted 8 lbs 8 oz). Considering this and the pretty average/good size of my baby, here is my question: My baby developed Bell's Palsy at 6 weeks old. The docs here are confused that it didn't show up right after delivery IF it was caused to compression on the nerve in utero or during delivery, or that he's had no preceding infections that could cause inflammation on the nerve. Do you know if Bell's Palsy due to birth trauma can show up up to 6 weeks after delivery? We have an appointment with a pediatric neurologist for a consultation in mid-April. What is your opinion?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2006
Baby Q&A Answer A681
According to my studies, if Bell’s paralyses was either intrauterine or caused by birth trauma, it would show up right after delivery. It is very important to have the pediatric neurologist identify if paralysis of the facial nerve is peripheral (Bell’s) or central:

-Peripheral facial paralysis (Bell’s) is caused by damage/pressure of the nerve itself or its nucleus and is manifests via: Failure of the lower lip to pull down symmetrically while crying (typical); Failure of any movement on the affected side of the face (total involvement, unusual); Eyelid does not close on affected side, and lower face (below the eyes)...the eyelid appears asymmetrical during crying.

-Central paralysis of the facial nerve is caused by brain cortex damage and there assymetry is present only around the mouth. The eyelid is not affected, so the baby can close the eye.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Infants , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.