How possible is it for teens to get pregnant with twins? :?: I was told since our periods are whack in the beginging of our period its very likely. But what do you think? Thanks for the answears :mrgreen:
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 23rd, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
If twins run in ur family (most likely ur mother's family) then twins are more probable. Fraternal twins are hereditary, identical are by chance.
|

User Profile
replied June 8th, 2009
identical twins are genetic and non identical are not!!
|

replied June 9th, 2009
Experienced User
It's the other way around. Identical are NOT genetic, they occur when an ovum splits after being fertilized in one of the first stages of division creating two viable zygotes. Has nothing to do with genetics. Fraternal may run in your family.
|

User Profile
replied June 15th, 2009
look it up!
|

User Profile
replied June 15th, 2009
look it up!
|

User Profile
replied June 15th, 2009
Especially eHealthy
Fraternal twins can be genetic. Fraternal twins happen when the woman's body releases two eggs instead of one (hyper ovulation) and both eggs are fertilized and implant. Hyper ovulation can be hereditary.

Identical twins happen when one fertilized egg splits into two. This is a random fluke and is NOT genetic.
|

replied June 15th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
Some families do have several sets of identical twins in the family. It can appear they actually "run" in those families. What causes the fertlized egg to split? It does happen by chance, but can it be genetic for some? People are still learning about identical twinning and some believe that identical twins aren't truly identical.

Fraternal twinning is only passed through the mother. I'm a fraternal twin but my dad is also a fraternal twin (male and female in both cases). I'm not sure if fraternal twinning even runs in my mom's side. It would appear my dad had something to do with it. But, men have nothing to do with women releasing more than one egg, though.

I can see why people would be confused about all this. There is still a lot to learn about twins.
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2009
Experienced User
I am an identical twin. Identical twins wont run down to further generations. My mom had 3 sets of twins though, but lost 2 of them. So, they may run in my family. But I hear they skip generations. I wonder what my chances of having a twin are.
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...