Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

6 Months on Birth Control and I Have not Bled for 2 Months..

User Profile
I have been on the birth control pill Aviane (generic for Alesse) for 6 months now. My first 4 periods were extremely light and only lasted 2 days. The past 2 cycles I have not gotten a period all together. I've taken 3 pregnancy tests within this time and they were all negative. I haven't noticed any changes in my body at all, I take my pill religiously and we even use condoms as back-up - I really don't feel that I'm pregnant, but is this normal? Should I be concerned for any health issues? Should pregnancy still be a concerm? Thanks for your time.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2006
Birth Control Answer A690
If your pregnancy tests are negative you shouldn’t continue to worry about pregnancy; birht control pills are the most secure form of contraception. You don’t need condoms unless you want to protect yourself from an STD. However, you should have menstruation while you are using birth control pills. One of the points of birth control pills is to imitate a real cycle, including menstruations. The cycles you experience while on the pill are not real menstruations because there is no ovulation... but menstruation helps make a woman feel normally. The last 7 pills are not active (don’t contain hormones). The week of sugar pills is usually followed by a false, or "pseudo", menstruation. I recommend you to consult your gynecologist about the fact that you are not bleeding at all.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Birth Control , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.