Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Difference Between Coronary Heart Disease/stress

Hi, I have been searching endlessly on the net about chest pain. I think my pain has since intensified w/ reading all the scary stuff. I know chest pain can be stress related but I also know that even an ekg can't even detect coronary heart disease. My pain started about 4 yrs ago, but I would only get chest pains about 3x a yr (usually the cold months) from the net all the symptoms i've had line up w/ an angina. But if this pain came 4yrs ago, wouldn't my pain have worsened along w/ my condition.

Oh and yes I have 6 kids, so I am stressed alot. I'm gonna break down and make an apt, but I am terrifieds of the results.

Thanks for all who respond!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 21st, 2006
Experienced User
Hi curious1234:

it is probably highly unlikely that you have coronary artery disease. Lots of things can cause chest pain including anxiety and stress. If you have major risk factors for heart disease such as obesity, high blood pressure, increasing age (usually 65 or older), high cholesterol, family history, physical inactivity, or diabetes, you will be more at risk. If you have none of these, it is not likely that you have heart disease. And yes, I would think that if you have been having this for 4 years and nothing serious has developed, I would say that it is probably something else. What kind of chest pain do you experience? They say that chest pain related to heart disease/attack will feel like there is 10,000 pounds sitting on your chest. When I was having bad anxiety and lots of stress I would get sharp chest pains. One other thing, I noticed that you said it tends to get bad during the cold months? I recently have gotten sinusitis which is basically your common sinus infection from cold I had. It gave me headaches and terrible chest pain, as there are some sinuses in your chest. Some people have what is called chronic sinusitis when they have problems at specific times in the year, most commonly during the winter (cold season) months. I hope this helps you. Try not to stress about it, as stress will only make things worse. If you are really concerned, go see you doctor so you can put your mind to rest. They will be able to tell if something is seriously wrong. Good luck!!
|

replied March 21st, 2006
Thank you, thank you soo much for responding, it looked kinda slow round here didn't know if i'd get a reply.

No don't have any of those things you mentioned. I weigh 140 pounds but not obese(size 9), or any other conditions you mentioned.

The pain is pretty dull, not sharp, it's on the left side, sometimes it radiates up my neck and to my breast(left). Don't have breast cancer (just wanted to throw that in there in case someone may have thot that) actually the pain is bearable just annoying. Never had that feeling that a mac truck was on my chest.

I just got off the net and found info on mvp, and it sounds like I may have that. At least the diagnosis is not as grim as heart disease. I wonder if i've always had heart murmor and it went undetecetd or if it's new 9dx w/ heart murmor few weeks ago)

yes the pain seems more prevelant in colder months (we just moved up north thank to the military) so it's colder than oklahoma. I noticed it also gets worse when I eat lotsa sweets.

Sory to overwhelm you w/ my long post
|

replied March 21st, 2006
Experienced User
Hi, you're welcome! When I suffered my first anxiety attack, I was so scared because I was having chest pains. I, too, searched the net and all I could find was heart disease and angina. I was convinced I was going to have a heart attack. It would always come in the afternoon. One day, I got myself all worked up and I ended going to the er I was so scared. The doc told me it could be acid reflux. Sometime heart burn/acid reflux causes chest pain and people to think that they are having a serious heart problem, etc. You can look on the net about it too and it can give you a good explanation. The fact that it gets worse after sweets could mean that it is a possibility. Just another idea. Just try not to worry! Keep in touch.
|

replied March 21st, 2006
Experienced User
The stomach is in the middle but it can mve to either left or right side this reflux thing im I right? It can move behind the ribs I think thats what ive been told dont know if its right tho
|
Must Read
Cardiovascular system disorders cause 40% of all deaths in the US. We outline types of heart disease here and define basic characteristics of heart problems....
What puts someone more at risk of heart disease than another? Learn the basic risk factors of heart disease so that you can start to avoid them....
Heart disease is better treated when detected early. Learn the common signs and symptoms of most heart disease, plus when you should ask a doctor for help....