Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Bleeding After Giving Birth

How much bleeding should there be after giving birth? I had a c-section monday the 13th of march. While in the hospital I bled a good amount and thursday the 16th when I came home it had slowed down quite a bit. I don't have a lot of clots either and when I do they are small. Is this normal? I'm by no means complaining tho! Lol I just thought there would be more bleeding.
Also how long after having a c-section are you sore? Thanks for any info.
-hopeful
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Well I had my son naturally im not so sure with c-section..But I bleed the whole 6 weeks.It was very very heavy ...The first week..And then it would go back and forth between medium and light...But it totally sucks I know ..And mine seemed like forever ..But I got used to it...Im thinking about going back to the doctor about my regular periods now..Because ever since I had my son...July of 05....I have this weird smell after my period...It bugs me so bad...But anyways hope I answered your questions...Lol
|

replied March 19th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
I had a c-section and I bleed all the way til like 2 days before my 6 week check up. For me the pain was mostly gone after the first week still a bit sore at my 2 week check but it was ok. But if I leaned against a counter or something it kinda hurt for a lil over a month. Are you on percacet?
Also I dunno if they told u (my doc didnt tell me) but at your two week appt all they do is remove the little tape peices (didnt hurt except the ones in the middle stung a little) and just see if you feel ok then you are cleared to drive again.
|

replied March 19th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Thanks for the info ladies!
I didn't know they only took those little tape things off. Ouch. I guess i'll live right through it. I'll be glad to be able to drive again. 2 weeks doesn't seem like a long time, but is to me when I can't drive!
But we just sold our truck, it's not exactly a family car. Now we get to go car shopping for me (since the truck was what I drove, i'm gonna miss my little red dodge dakota) it was so handy when I was pregnant because it was just the right height to get my big belly in and out w/o too much of a struggle.
....Anyways, did you bleed a lot when you got back from the hospital, or not really?
Now tonight my milk has started coming in. I thought something was goin' on because I woke up with giant boobs this morning. My hubby thought he was gonna give them a squeeze. I said I don't think so buddy, you do that and they will never dry up! Lol
|

replied March 20th, 2006
Experienced User
Ugh this is the one thing i'm really not looking forward to after having this baby. Bleeding for 6 days is too much never mind 6 weeks.
|

replied March 20th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
With my c-section I bled for about 4 weeks and I had a lot of clots and bleeding during those 4 weeks. After those few weeks I started to just have some real bad brownish discharge. I just can't wait to have my baby, I think that I can handle the bleeding.....I never bleed for more than 4 days anyway...However the discharge I am having now is a pain. I will be happy to go back to 4 days a month.

The pain of having a c-section is pretty bad because they want you up and walking around a few hours after having it done. (to prepaire you for going home I guess) and that is pretty painful. But like for me at least I dont' have to wait until I go into labor. I get to scedual mine and have her 2 weeks early.
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...