South beach worked for me. I have been on it for almost two years. I lost 60 lbs. Good diet, and healthy. Good luck to anyone who tries it. I bought my first book at the book store (expensive) so, I got the second one on ebay. Woooot very cheap if you don't mind the wait. Good luck to who ever tries this, and if you have any questions. I will be more than happy to answer them

stacy
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper StacyD
|

User Profile
replied April 22nd, 2007
Supporter
Hi
This diet SUCKED for me.......I got so sick of eggs and cheese, salads for lunch with a dab of stinking fish...then again at supper a palm full of this and six or seven almonds........get out of here!.......Worse than the Atkins diet. I found I could do Weight wWatchers ,eat REAL food and continue to loose weight at a regular steady pace, without giving up good carbs, eliminating fruits and veges that the body require to maintain vital function. Lost 20 punds in a little over 3 months....maintained for the las 10 years.............still eat candy apples, cotton candy, chocolate, you name it, just in bites instead of hte whole bag! I alaso drink lots of water and exercise! The South Beach Diet kept me weak, my breath was GROSS and I had no energy...........
|

replied February 27th, 2012
Sounds like you might have gone into ketosis due to lack of plant carbs. If your breath was gross, that's a sign of it (I'm an RN). I agree, the first two weeks are pretty hard and limiting. But I am such a carb addict that I think it's just what I need. I've been on WW, too, and I found that it allowed far too much sugar but limited fat as if that is the only culprit! It was pretty easy to cheat on WW and never lose a thing, but that could be said of any program. If you want it to work, it will! The best program is the one you stick to, so I hope WW really does it for you!!!
|

replied May 31st, 2007
Are you sure you were on South Beach? Whole grains, veggies, fruit and assorted lean meats. Worked well for me.
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2007
Supporter
Yep
The Induction period.....this is the hell week for 2 weeks you can not eat bread, fruits, whole grains? Nothing but the tomatoe juice for breakfast, eggs with cheese, oh, then by the 3rd week you can add a teaspoon of this and that..............not a healthy alternative diet. Would rather wash a bag of cotton candy down with a slim fast,,,,,,,,,,, bout as healthy! Glad it does work for some people, just not a lifetime diet that lots of people can stick with. I'd much rather alter my eating pattern than someone tell me what I can and can not have to eat...........I've maintained my weight for almost 40 years! The key is to take in less calories than you are burning. Rev it up, walk 20 minutes 4-5 times a week. Best exercise in the world! Oh, and Dr. Atkins never had heart problems?????? It was this diet that contributed to his death.
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Yep
Fairy*Godmother wrote:
The Induction period.....this is the hell week for 2 weeks you can not eat bread, fruits, whole grains? Nothing but the tomatoe juice for breakfast, eggs with cheese, oh, then by the 3rd week you can add a teaspoon of this and that..............not a healthy alternative diet. Would rather wash a bag of cotton candy down with a slim fast,,,,,,,,,,, bout as healthy! Glad it does work for some people, just not a lifetime diet that lots of people can stick with. I'd much rather alter my eating pattern than someone tell me what I can and can not have to eat...........I've maintained my weight for almost 40 years! The key is to take in less calories than you are burning. Rev it up, walk 20 minutes 4-5 times a week. Best exercise in the world! Oh, and Dr. Atkins never had heart problems?????? It was this diet that contributed to his death.

I don't like atkins and from what I have read it sound like south beach is a lot like it.. I like weight watchers.. But I thought he fell down and hit his head.. that killed him..
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2007
Supporter
Sorry Guys
Atkins/South Beach.. they both ***! WEIGHT WATCHERS RULZ!
|

replied May 31st, 2007
Experienced User
Yes, Dr. Atkins died when slipped and fell on some ice and suffered a severe head injury. His death had nothing to do with his diet.

[link removed]
|

replied October 19th, 2007
I love love love the south beach diet pizzas....if you haven't tried them i highly recommend them!
|

replied November 28th, 2007
South Beach Diet Bars
I'm off of the south beach diet, way to hard to follow with my busy lifestyle. But ifyou are on it i recommend the diet bars-chocolate galore!! They have so many different kinds, but YUMMY!!! They are a bit expensive though and available through most supermarkets!
Happy dieting!
|

User Profile
replied January 13th, 2008
my friend is back in size 5 jeans. We follow south beach diet and eat the chocolaterave protein bars. They are yummy, only have 150 calories, are like having 2 eggs, vitamins, and 9-10 servings fruits/veggies in orac value. I swear, I don't crave the carbs or sweets with these and they are the BEST! Can't give out links here, but just do a search for chocolaterave protein bars
|

replied March 31st, 2008
i did south beach diet (phase one) religiously for three weeks, and lost eight lbs. was hoping for more, especially since i did the extra week and was exercising regularly through it... however, 8lbs is better than nothing. Smile i think it's a healthy way to eat. i liked that you could eat as much salad as you wanted, and some sugar free products.
|

replied September 16th, 2008
Experienced User
I'm surprised with these results. I lost almost 12lbs the first 2 weeks and finished my weight loss after another 4 weeks. I lost 20lbs total and kept it off for 6 months before something happened that made me gain a few lbs back. I plan to go back on phase 1 for at least a week and then maintain my weight again.

I have no idea how some people think this diet is too restrictive, you only cut out carbs and sugar (sugar is the real culprit) for 2 weeks and then you can start eating a couple servings of good carbs, chocolate, whathaveyou, and all the fruits and veggies you want every day. Plus I love that I can have wine.

Personally any diet where you restrict calories or have to count things is too restrictive for me. I have to eat when I need it because of my low blood sugar and this diet was great for that. Plus, I could never do weight watchers because you have to attend meetings and pay for things, whereas with South Beach I only paid $12 for the book at Walmart and bought the food. Cooking all that fresh food was difficult, but my fiance did it with me and we would switch off cooking our meals for a few days at a time.

Note- I did not exercise during this diet because I couldn't afford gym membership or equipment and I was working 2 jobs. But I thought it was amazing that I could lose the weight without it. Doing yoga and cycling afterwards helped me maintain. I am going to start cycling indoors.
|

replied December 25th, 2011
are you still doing sb , if so .how are you doing .thanks bonnie
|

replied February 13th, 2011
I did not lose weight
Okay, My family and I have stritctly done this diet for two weeks. They succeeded, but not me. What could be the problem? we all ate exactly the same foods.
|

replied February 13th, 2011
I did not lose weight
Okay, My family and I have stritctly done this diet for two weeks. They succeeded, but not me. What could be the problem? we all ate exactly the same foods.
|

replied February 27th, 2012
Everyone is different. Did you lose anything at all? I don't know what "they succeeded" means. Maybe it was salt, maybe it was quantities. Not sure....more info?
|
Quick Reply