Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Is Husband's Nighttime Violence a Sleeping Disorder?

User Profile
My husband is sometimes "unpleasant" when awoken during the night-snappy, and slightly agressive- he sometimes says things he feels bad about and apologises for in the morning. I have become used to it, but last night he was exceptionally aggressive (i had to wake him to help me as both our 3 year old and our 4 month old were awake and crying at the same time)- cursed, called me names,and was really a bit frightening. this morning he had no memory of saying anything at all. He remembered being up, and checking on our daughters but that is all. Was he sleepwaking? sleeptalking ? He seemed to be awake- he was walking around, he was also unpleasant to our 3 year old and put her back to bed even though she was wet. He remembers checking her and finding her dry(?) He turned on lights, asked questions and also managed to use the toilet.
A few minutes after the incident he got up of his own accord and agued with me because he thought I had checked the baby too soon after he did.
He has a vague memory of doing this.
Is this some kind oif sleep disorder? is there a possibility of him becoming violent towards me or our children without meaning too?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2006
Sleep Disorders Answer A664
It seems that your husband has a serious psychiatric disorder, perhaps dissociative hysteric neurosis or psychogenic hysteria. Psychiatric disorders are not sleeping disorders. He may become violent without real attention to what he is doing and/or will to overcome his violence. He needs expert help from a psychiatrist to help control episodes such as the one your describe. You can consult a mental health professional to help your family identify and cope with your husband's behavior.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sleep Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.