Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Can Bulimia Cause Cancer of the Ear, Nose, or Throat?

User Profile
Hello,
I have a tightness in my throat. When I swallow saliva I feel like it does not all go down, however, I have no problem swallowing food or drink. My throat is not sore, but lately I wake up and my sinuses feel very congested. I also have dull earaches. I have been going crazy for about two months with these symptoms, and I am terrified that I have some sort of cancer. I have seen my doctor twice but cannot receive more than 2 minutes of her time. I was bulimic for a few years; but I was able to beat it - that was about six months ago. I am worried that I have developed some sort of cancer because of the bulimia? What do my symptoms sound like to you? I have no pain in my esophagus, and I don't have heart burn. Please Help!

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2006
Ear, Nose & Throat Disorders Answer A657
Bulimia doesn`t seem likely that will cause cancer. Further, none of your symptoms indicate a possibility that you have cancer. Earaches can be caused by inflammation of the middle ear, as a complication of sinusitis. The sinuses are connected to the middle ears through the nasopharynx. A history of bulimia and your current cancer-phobia indicate possible psycho-emotional problems. You might consider seeking help from a trusted, mental health professional who can help you cope with life on life's terms.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Bulimia is an eating disorder that affects people of all ages. But what are the characteristics of bulimia? And how do you know if you have it, or not?...
Bulimia is caused by social, emotional and psychological factors. But who is at risk of developing bulimia? And what factors make bulimia likely to develop?...
People with bulimia display a set of behavioral, emotional and physical signs. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of bulimia to help yourself or a loved one....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.