Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Postpartum and Postnatal Forum

Is It Possible to Have Postpartum Dep. 2yrs After Birth?

I think I am having panic attacks, well I know I am. I have went to the emergency room because of them. I use to work and get out. I recently moved w/ my fiance and my 2yr old daughter. I am not working anymore, I stay at home and I am not as close to my family as I was (like 30mins away now) my fiance works 3rd shift so I don't see him, so it's just me and my daughter 24/7. That's just a little back ground on me. But this is my question, I have been off and on for maybe 4- 6months, I have been feeling out of it, like I am in a dream. I am sick of feeling weird. Also I am not really having panic attacks anymore, like I use to get shakey, hot/cold flashes, tingley, rapid heart beat, ect. I'm not like that anymore. I just feel out of it (in a dream) and lazy, also every once in a while (seems like around the time of my period, before or after) when I am asleep i'll wake up and it feels like my whole body (on the inside) is shaking/ trembling...Now that scares me. Any suggestions??? My doctor told me to get my eyes checked about the out of it feeling...Everything was fine, well I need glasses but nothing that would make me feel the way I do. I feel out of my body. And when I go out I feel strange like everyone's looking at me or something, the out of it feeling worsens, but I have the out of it feeling most of the time!!! It's driving me crazy, please help me...I have no insurance to go to a doctor again!!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 15th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
I don't think it's postpartum depression. I do wish you had the insurance to get this checked out further, though. Have you googled your symptoms or something? I know the internet's not the most reliable place to get information but it can be useful.
|

replied March 16th, 2006
Thank u, I wish I had insurance 2!!! I am trying to finish school, so only my fiance is working right now, so we don't have the extra to pay for insurance, and then we make to much money to b e on medicaid. No I haven't googled the symtoms...Well somewhat, but I don't know how to put the feeling into words. All I can say is I feel out of it/ in a dream and nothing partaning to health pops up.
|

replied March 16th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
lilamy22 wrote:
thank u, I wish I had insurance 2!!! I am trying to finish school, so only my fiance is working right now, so we don't have the extra to pay for insurance, and then we make to much money to b e on medicaid. No I haven't googled the symtoms...Well somewhat, but I don't know how to put the feeling into words. All I can say is I feel out of it/ in a dream and nothing partaning to health pops up.

i was looking at the anxiety/depression forum, and someone mentioned having something like that- detachment, I think they called it. Maybe if you went over there and asked?
|

replied April 8th, 2006
You don't give very much description, so it's hard to know exactly what you are feeling, but here's what I do know.

The hormonal changes of childbearing do last approximately 2 years postpartum. Your hormones gradually return to "normal", although sometimes this means a different state than before the pregnancy.

It is entirely possible that some type of hormonal change could cause a feeling of detachment or "laziness".

It is also entirely possible that the life changes you mentioned could lead to anxiety or depression, as well as to dietary or other changes that might affect your stress levels. All of these things also can affect hormonal output and response.

The feelings you describe could also be a mental health response to the changes-without any hormonal change associated with it.

I don't think you would be getting the symptoms of classic postpartum depression 2 years later, but it is possible that your hormonal postpartum state-which is just now ending-actually helped you and that the changes you are now experiencing combined with that are leading to the ways you are feeling.

It might be a good idea to contact a counselor who knows something about postpartum and childbearing, as well as nutrition, exercise, and other bodily approaches to mental health.

Blessings,
fiora
|

replied April 29th, 2006
Experienced User
Hi,

it really sounds like hypoglycemia or low blood sugar. How is your diet? The symptoms are very much like what you've discribed. Check out the "hypoglycemia" message board on this forum. Changing your diet could make all the difference.

Dj
|