Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Trouble eating due to excessive burping...what can I do?

User Profile
Hi, thank you for your time.

My girlfriend has gassy problems after eating. I have found another person on the forum with the exact same
Everytime she has a snack or meal she burps and sometimes the food comes back up. This happens after 5 minutes and continues for a couple of hours.

This has been an ongoing problem for several years, and been getting worse.

She has been to the doctor once, 6months ago and was told to take gaviscon tablets before eating. This doesnt really help at all.

I'm really worried because she doesnt eat properly and gets bad cramps.

Any advice will be greatfully recieved

Thanks

Quote from another posting my GUEST
"Gall Bladder, Stomach Problems??
Posted: 02-18-06 8:10pm

------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------

Hi,im 27,female, and ive have been having exactly the same problems for 8 months now, I get a lot of pain and discomfort in my sternum/breastbone, and also just below it. When I eat, mostly when I have dinner in the evenings my food doesnt always feel like it is going down properly, it sits halfway down for a while and it feels like I need to burp and it will all come back up. Quite often I burp up watery stuff, sometimes sick and sometimes the food ive just eaten, not huge amounts but enough, and its not very nice! I also sometimes get a really heavy feeling in the bottom of my chest? Im always burping, I never used to and its really embarresing sometimes! Ive been to my gp and ive been on nexium for 6 months although it hasnt really helped. Ive had a barium swallow and that didnt show anything, my gp sent me to a consultant and he then sent me for an endoscopy examination, this also didnt show anything? Im waiting for a follow up appointment to see where I go from here? I know this information doesnt help you much but dont get your hopes up that an endoscopy will show the cause of the problem because it may not,as I found out, I hope you find an answer soon though because these symptoms are horrible and I sympathise with you having them as I to have been very uncomfortable for a long time now, with no answer for it? Good luck! "

thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2006
Appendix, Appendicitis, Gallbladder Disorders Answer A644
These symptoms can manifest if you eat with open mouth or speak a lot during eating. You can request an endoscopic examination and ca ontrast X-ray with barium of the esophagus and stomach in order to help diagnose this disorder. You can also perform a Helicobacter pillory serology.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.