Hello
my question is about my 8 year son who has an atrial septal defect. It was diagnosed when he was 4 months old. The hole is approx. 8mm. Our cardiologist feels we don't need to repair it. He says we should just go on with our lives and forget about it. Maybe have him checked every couple of years. Although he has no symtoms and is otherwise very healthy I am concerned of the damage this hole will cause him later in years. I don't understand why we should wait until there is damage or he has a stroke or something like that. Why not repair it to prevent any problems? Do you feel we should get a second opinion? What is your take on atril septal defects.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 19th, 2010
ASD
Based on my understanding, the hole will be gone later in years. Most of that case, it is not something that is alarming because studies show the hole in the heart usually close on its own later in life. Just have annual check up to see and confirm that the hole is closing in progress. Smile
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....