Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Am I Obsessive-Compulsive about the Food I am Eating?

User Profile
I have read a lot about sensory integration. I found out about this disorder when I was searching "textures and food". I am an extremely "picky" eater. There are only a few foods that I will or have ever eaten. I do not mean picky like, "I don't eat green beans" I mean picky like; I have never eaten a hamburger, hotdog, pizza, vegetable, etc. I am not "choosy" to lose weight or avoid weight and do not consider my disorder anorexia or bulimia but for me it is an eating disorder and I can't find help for it, or anyone else with it, nor a name for it. I have been told to see a psychiatrist and I did. After one visit, he diagnosed me with ocd tendencies and wanted to give me a rx which I did not take. I do have ocd tendencies like counting, organizing, cleaning but they are not out of control or in control of my life. I am just a clean and organized person. I am however, out of control and frustrated with my non-eating. Doctors tell me that I am healthy and if I tell them I am picky they just tell me to take vitamins to make sure I am getting all of the nutrients that I need. Well, that is fine, but at this point in my life it is more of a quality of life issue than anything. I can only go to two fast food places when my friends go because only two have the chicken nuggets or grilled cheese that I will eat. My husband will eat anything, but for us to go to a restaurant we have to go to one of the very few that will let me order off the kid's menu which has chicken strips/nuggets or a grilled cheese. And, the fact that I have eaten a grilled cheese sandwich or chicken nuggets every single day for as long as I can remember, would be an understatement to say that I am tired of them. I don't like thick chicken nuggets or soggy buttered bread either.

I can not make myself eat other foods though. I do not want mushy food, I do not eat vegetables and the only fruits I eat are apples and banannas on occasion. I will eat cereal but not if it has too much milk or is already soggy. My mom said that even as an infant I would only swallow two or three baby foods no matter how many she tried to give me. My parents and brother eat "normally". Mom also said that if I could "squish" the food with my finger (highchair age...) I wouldn't eat it. I think that my issue is the texture of foods or maybe there is something wrong with my stomach or intestines, etc. Someone once jokingly said that I have overactive tastebuds. Maybe that is it. All of the research I have done about the sensory integration sounds like me though. The kinds of things that are borderline ocd stuff which makes me feel like I was misdiagnosed. I hate tags/seams on clothes to rub me. I have to go to the extreme to feel satisfied in life or to get a thrill (like with skydiving, flying, skiing). Any advice is welcome. This is so odd that most doctors won't sit long enough to hear it all or they do not even know about Dr. Aeyers (sp?) sensory theories.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 27th, 2006
Eating Disorders Answer A591
The reason for an “eating disorder” is not in the stomach, intestines, or a matter of sense of taste. The problem is in the mind. You note extreme disgust in some types food and recognize an abnormal pattern. Yes, it sounds as if you are experiencing some kind of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)... or at least exhibiting an obsessive-compulsive character. Avoiding some types of un-healthy fast food (hamburgers, pizza, and hotdog) can be useful. Avoiding vegetables and fruits to an extreme wherein vitamin-tablets are necessary is not OK. It seems that you have a psychiatric disorder and you can ask for expert help from a psychiatrist, nutritionist, and/or a mental health professional.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Eating Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.