My sis-in-law had a miscarriage. Now she is pregnant again. I am worried that she will have another. She has 8 cats, 1 dog, 2 birds and a gunni pig. Living with her in a small 2 bed room apt. ..My concern is the cats.

Cant the cats effect the fetus?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 13th, 2003
Experienced User
Pets And Pregnancy
Yes, cats are very dangerous for infants,, they have been known to suffocate the baby because they can smell the milk on the babies breath. Also, cat feces carry a disease, that can also harm the baby.

Lhileman
|

replied September 11th, 2003
That is such an old wives tale.

The only real concern with cats is toxoplasmosis, which can easily be controlled with good hygiene skills.
|

replied September 11th, 2003
I agree with the above post. Just make sure she washes her hands if she needs to deal with cat feces or has someone else take out the litter if possible. I have 3 cats and a toddler (and one on the way), the cats were deathly afraid to go near my first when she was born and now she chases them away! If anything i'd be more worried for the cats, imagine this new ball of drool and curiosity rolling,scooting,and running towards you! Lol. Also there is a mesh tent that can be attached to make a dome above the baby's crib so that the cats won't climb in baby's bed when she/he is not there.
|

replied September 23rd, 2003
Experienced User
I agree that the cats are not a good idea to have around.
|

replied September 23rd, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
Because there is alot of hair they shed and fleas and everything. Keep cats away for a little while. Dont get rid of them, just keep a distance and have it checked all the time.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Anand J. Singh