Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Is Topamax or Keppra (for Partial Complex Seizures) Causing

User Profile
Diagnosed with partial complex siezures in 2002.. symptoms since approx. 1989. In 1992 EEG indicated convulsive tendonsies. All EEG's have been abnormal. MRI shows possible head injury. Past occupation.... medivac corpsman in the coast guard. Could have injured head at anytime. Current meds- Topamax....200 mg TID, Keppra... 500mg 3 tabs BID. I do not have all my lab work but a little over a year ago was noted enlarged red cells. VA has not done much but keeps drawing more labs. Sending me from one clinic to another stating it is neurology problem and then neurology states it is primary care problem. I do believe both meds can cause this. I have noted extreme exhaustion, shortness of breath ( i am a hiker.. very unusual), some bruising (even in crazy places like behind my knees), blurred vision, ringing in my head. Please advise. Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 27th, 2006
Epilepsy Answer A562
“Blurred vision” and “ringing in your head” could be caused by Topamax or Keppra. “Enlarged red cells”, however, are not usually caused by antiepileptic medicines; I can not find current data that links the impact of the two drugs to bone marrow health. Exhaustion and shortness of breath could be caused by a heart problem. You can visit a cardiologist to perform an ECG, a coronary stress-test, and an echo-cardiography.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Epilepsy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.